Historical Archaeology is the scholarly journal of The Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) and the leading journal in the study of the archaeology of the modern era. The journal publishes articles on a broad range of historic and archaeological areas of interests such as slavery, gender, race, ethnicity, social class, globalization, industry, landscapes, material culture, battlefields, and much more.
Historical Archaeology is published quarterly and is a benefit of SHA membership. The journal was first published in 1967, the year SHA was founded. Although most contributors and reviewers are member of the Society, membership is not required to submit manuscripts for publication in Historical Archaeology. Scholarship and pertinence are the determining factors in selecting contribution for publication in SHA’s journal.
Included in the European Reference Index for the Humanities (ERIH) PLUS
The European Reference Index for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (ERIH PLUS) was created and developed by European researchers under the coordination of the Standing Committee for the Humanities (SCH) of the European Science Foundation (ESF). https://dbh.nsd.uib.no/publiseringskanaler/erihplus/about/index
SCImago Journal and Country Rank (SJR) 2018: 0.380
83 out of 263 on the Archeology (Arts and Humanities) list
203 out of 1138 on the History list
88 out of 254 on the Archeology (Social Sciences) list
SJR is a measure of the journal’s relative impact in its field, based on its number of citations and number of articles per publication year.
Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 0.648
The SNIP measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. The impact of a single citation is given higher value in subject areas where citations are less likely, and vice versa.
CiteScore 2018: 0.50
- The leading journal in the field of historical archaeology, or the archaeology of the modern historic period
- Provides latest coverage of theoretical and methodological advances in historical archaeology from throughout the world
- Includes research articles, book reviews, and technical briefs articles
- Two topical thematic issues are published each year
- Kathryn Sampeck
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 95 days
- Submission to first decision
- 449 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 43,688 (2020)
The Subfloor-Pit Tradition in the United States: A Florida Case Study and Critical Reappraisal of Its Origins
Finding Freedom: Exploratory Archaeological Investigations at the Free African American Site of Pandenarium (36ME253), 1854–1930s
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Read a sampling of open access articles from Historical Archaeology.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Current Contents/Arts and Humanities
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- ERIH PLUS
- Google Scholar
- INIS Atomindex
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals and Series
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS)
- ProQuest Social Science Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)