The Mathematical Intelligencer publishes articles about mathematics, about mathematicians, and about the history and culture of mathematics. Written in an engaging, informal style,* our pages inform and entertain a broad audience of mathematicians and the wider intellectual community.
We welcome expository articles on all kinds of mathematics, and articles that portray the diversity of mathematical communities and mathematical thought, emergent mathematical communities around the world, new interdisciplinary trends, and relations between mathematics and other areas of culture. Humor is welcome, as are puzzles, poetry, fiction, and art.
*Note: The traditional Definition/Theorem/Proof style of research articles is not appropriate here, nor are articles aimed only at specialists.
- Free app available on iTunes and Google Play Store
- Publishes articles about mathematics, mathematicians, and the history and culture of mathematics
- Presents articles on all kinds of mathematics and interdisciplinary trends, and articles that portray the diversity of mathematical communities and thought
- Informs and entertains: humor, puzzles, poetry, fiction, and art can be found throughout the journal
- 100% of authors who answered a survey reported that they would definitely publish or probably publish in the journal again
- Karen H. Parshall,
- Sergei Tabachnikov
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 0.397 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 0.204 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 50 days
- Submission to first decision
- 73 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 145,940 (2019)
Virtual Conference: 'Mathematics at the Intersection of Art, Culture, and History: In Celebration of The Mathematical Intelligencer and Marjorie Senechal'
Date and Time: Saturday, February 27th, 10 AM EST/4PM CET
Springer Nature is proud to present this virtual conference to celebrate the legacy of The Mathematical Intelligencer and Marjorie Senechal’s tenure as the Magazine’s Editor-in-Chief.
Attendance is free and open to all.
Organizers and Hosts: Karen Parshall (University of Virginia)
Sergei Tabachnikov (Penn State University)
Zoom Link: https://springer.zoom.us/j/6440052748
Meeting ID: 644 005 2748
The Mathematical Intelligencer will publish a special issue in honor and memory of John Horton Conway (1937–2020). Although articles are currently being solicited for this special issue, unsolicited contributions are also welcome.
The issue, which will appear in Volume 43(2), June 2021, will cover the many facets of John’s mathematical work and persona. Submissions should be five to ten pages in length (though this limit is flexible), and can be biographical in nature or focus on an area of research that John was identified with or felt some particular affinity with.
Submission Deadline: December 31, 2020
I am delighted to announce that, after a year-long search for the next Editor-in-Chief of this magazine, Karen Parshall (University of Virginia) and Sergei Tabachnikov (Penn State University) have agreed to serve as co-Editors-in-Chief, beginning in January 2021 (vol. 43, no. 1).
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCO Book Review Digest Plus
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO General Science
- EBSCO MAS
- EBSCO MasterFILE
- EBSCO Military & Government Collection
- EBSCO OmniFile
- EBSCO STM Source
- EBSCO Science & Technology Collection
- EBSCO Science Full Text Select
- EBSCO Science Reference Center
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- MLA International Bibliography
- Mathematical Reviews
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies & Aerospace Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Computer Science
- ProQuest Engineering
- ProQuest Materials Science and Engineering Database
- ProQuest Military Database
- ProQuest Research Library
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest Technology Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Research Papers in Economics (RePEc)
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)