Write & submit with Overleaf
Use this cloud-based scientific authoring platform that allows seamless collaboration and effortless manuscript submission.
Open Choice: Your research. Your choice.
Open Choice allows you to publish open access in more than 1900 Springer Nature journals, making your research more visible and accessible, immediately on publication.
Open Choice benefits
- Increased researcher engagement: Open Choice enables access by anyone with an internet connection, immediately on publication.
- Higher visibility and greater impact: In Springer hybrid journals, open access articles are accessed 4 times more often on average, and cited 1.7 more times on average*.
- Easy compliance with funder and institutional mandates: Many funders require open access publishing, and some take compliance into account when assessing future grant applications.
- Automatic export triggered to PubMed Central/Europe PubMed Central (PMC); if applicable.
How can readers tell your articles are Open Choice?
When searching for your article on SpringerLink, readers will find them clearly marked as ‘open access’.
The copyright remains with you
- If authors choose to publish open access with Open Choice, the copyright remains with them.
- The vast majority of our Open Choice eligible journals publish open access articles under the liberal Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International(CC BY) license. It permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided appropriate credit is given to the original author(s) and the source, a link to the Creative Commons license is included, and it is indicated if any changes were made.
- For a list of Open Choice eligible journals please refer to our list of journals.
- A limited number of journals continue to use the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC) license, including those published under the Adis imprint.
*) Within the first three years of publication. Springer Nature hybrid journal OA impact analysis, 2018.
How to order Open Choice
After your article has been accepted for publication, you will receive an email with a link to the MyPublication process pages. There you can opt for your article to be published open access.
• Visit our open access funding page to find out how the open access publication charge can be covered.
• Publishing Open Choice articles involves an open access publication fee of US$ 3000/EUR 2200 (excl. VAT). You can choose to pay by credit card or to receive an invoice.
• Agreements with some institutions might cover the open access charges if you belong to a participating institution. Click here for more information. Find out if your institution has an agreement with us.
• The open access publication fee does not replace any other existing journal publication costs, which are billed separately (e.g. surcharges for color figures in print, oversized articles, etc.).
• Customers providing payment from the Americas will be charged in US$. Sales tax will be charged if applicable.
Customers providing payment from Europe, Africa and Asia will be charged in EUR. VAT is not included in the price and will be added, at a standard rate, if applicable.
• Article processing charge (APC) refund policy: Springer Nature will refund an article processing charge (APC) if an error on our part has resulted in a failure to publish an article under the open access terms selected by the authors. This may include the failure to make an article openly available on the journal platform, or publication of an article under a different Creative Commons licence from that selected by the author(s). A refund will only be offered if these errors have not been corrected within 30 days of publication.
If you become aware of an error in the open access status or licensing of your article, please contact the central customer support team immediately.
APCs will not be refunded when articles are retracted as a result of author error or misconduct.
• Open Choice articles are not included in our Open Access Membership Program. This means that fees for articles published in Springer’s subscription-based journals using the Open Choice option are not covered by your institution’s membership.
• The list prices for institutional licences of Springer Nature hybrid journals are based solely on subscription content volume.