Benefits of Gold Open Access
- Increased citation and usage. As articles are freely and permanently available online immediately upon publication they have a broader distribution and increased visibility over subscription content. Research has shown that articles published open access receive higher citations, downloads and views. Download figures are also sustained over a longer period in articles published OA that those with restricted access.
- Easy compliance with institutional and funder mandates. Content published under a Creative Commons licence can be archived anywhere and made immediately available on publication, allowing authors to easily comply with funder requirements.
- Retention of copyright by authors.
- Faster impact. As work is available to all as soon as it is published research that builds on the paper can be carried out and published quicker. This is especially important in fast moving or time sensitive fields and topics (e.g. current epidemics).
- Greater public engagement as those without intuitional subscriptions can access latest research. Especially valuable for especially when content affects the general public (e.g. patient groups).