Marketing your journal
A guide for Editors-in-Chief and Editorial Boards
Springer's marketing activities are aimed at increasing the global visibility of your journal, to help attract and retain the loyalty of top authors in the field and increase readership. To achieve these goals, we utilize a multi-channel approach leveraging a mix of marketing tactics and campaigns. Read more below or download this helpful informational poster!
Journal Homepage and Search Engine Optimization
Your journal's homepage on springer.com features key information including the Aims and Scope, Editorial Board, instructions for authors, a direct link for submission, Table-of-Contents Alert Sign-up, social media share buttons and free access to sample articles. The homepage also contains a downloadable pdf journal flyer available for emailing or printing.
This homepage is optimized so that a researcher can easily find the journal using common search engines like Google and that the journal's page appears at the top of search results. Over sixty percent of our website visitors come from search engines, underscoring the importance of search engine optimization.
Promotional Campaigns to Advertise Your Journal
Springer undertakes a variety of promotional tactics to drive awareness, readership and submissions to your journal, including:
- Dedicated journal email campaigns and inclusion in relevant portfolio and conference eNewsletters sent to thousands of researchers
- Online subject channels providing subject specific journal lists
- Multi-tactic campaigns featuring open access options, author benefits, top downloaded/shared/cited articles and Impact Factor announcements to authors, editors and researchers
- Campaigns surrounding topical world events, e.g. International Day of Happiness, International Women's Day, International Nelson Mandela Day etc. promoting topic related journal articles
- Banner ads on relevant discipline pages on both SpringerLink and springer.com, highlighting overall journal awareness, special issues, key papers or journal announcements
- Promotion of journal content via Springer's Social Media channels
- Indexing with all major search engines and Abstracting & Indexing (A&I) services
- Inclusion in Springer's display at relevant academic conferences - we attend more than 300 large scientific conferences per year
- Communication to subscription agencies and to libraries
- Inclusion in librarian's catalogs
Table-of-Contents Alerts and Inserts
Table-of-Contents Alerts feature direct links to abstracts and full-text articles and are a great tactic to drive journal usage.
These email alerts are sent upon the online publication of every issue and can include special "Important News" announcements. Topics could include Call-for-Papers, upcoming meetings, Editorial Board changes and journal news. Learn more on how to request a insert in your next Table-of-Contents Alert.
Services for the Journal
Analyze your authors and find new ones
AuthorMapper is a powerful visualization and intelligence tool that can tell you: what institutions your authors come from, who your most prolific authors are, your article output over time, the keywords most used in your articles… or use it to find (and locate!) other experts publishing in your field!
Track your journal's impact
- See the latest citations to your journal and get an up-to-date impression of how your publication has been received at citations.springer.com.
- Additionally, using data provided by Altmetric, the number of social media shares for any given article is now displayed on SpringerLink, showcasing the wider impact and influence of each article.
Online reader surveys
Want to take the "pulse" of your journal's readers? We can conduct brief surveys, promote new journal features or make announcements to SpringerLink and Springer.com users of your journal! This service presents a unique opportunity to understand your readers and influence their behavior in real time! Learn more.
Tips for Promoting Your Journal
- Encourage your colleagues to register for your journal's free Table-of-Contents Alerts to ensure they receive your journal's latest updates. Include the sign-up link in your journal's correspondence and ask the Editorial Board to do the same
- Attending a conference or seminar? Print out copies of the journal flyer (available on the journals homepage) or request from Springer a set of business card sized "mini-flyers" featuring the journal cover, editor(s)-in-chief and submission URL for you to solicit articles
- Use your social media platforms to promote the journal; post links to articles, announce special issues and engage in topical discussions. If you are new to social media, read our information on different social media channels and sign up for our PostMe! service.
- Start blogging! Linking to your journal from your blog posts helps the journal's discoverability and search engine results.
- Inform us of forthcoming, high profile articles so we can appropriately highlight them to readers