Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares
Reengaging Students through Relationship
Editors: Hutchison, Kirsten, McCann, Tricia (Eds.)Free Preview
- This book, derived from research within school communities into engaging students in learning, is a holistic exploration of advocacy and mentoring in theory and practice, from the multiple perspectives of teacher educators, school leaders, teachers and students.
Buy this book
- eBook $49.99
price for USA in USD
- ISBN 978-94-6300-133-5
- Digitally watermarked, DRM-free
- Included format: PDF
- ebooks can be used on all reading devices
- Immediate eBook download after purchase
- About this book
Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares: Reengaging Students through Relationship explores approaches to engaging young people in schooling through advocacy models of student support. In Australia, as in many nations, increasing social, cultural and linguistic diversity in school populations is producing complex challenges for education systems, schooling, teaching and learning. This book shares research informed insights into the multi-layered approaches required to support vulnerable students and sustain school-based mentoring programs. This edited collection covers theoretical and empirical perspectives on student disengagement from schooling through these key ideas:
• The benefits of advocacy and mentoring programs on learning and school culture, particularly for students who are at risk of disconnection from learning.
• Transforming schooling from the bottom up, by listening to students, teachers and principals and supporting educators in the development of situated and dynamic conditions for learning, through school-university partnerships.
• The centrality of positive, caring teacher – student relationships, foregrounding emotional connection as a key component of effective learning, derived from the person-centred theory articulated by Carl Rogers.
Written by a team of academics, teachers and school principals, Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares: Reengaging Students through Relationship is a valuable resource for teacher educators, principals, teachers, student welfare counsellors and counselling practitioners.
- Table of contents (9 chapters)
When One of the Teachers Smiles at Me
Principles and outcomes of the Advocacy Project
Volatile and Vulnerable
‘I Want Them to Listen to Me’
Table of contents (9 chapters)
Recommended for you
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares
- Book Subtitle
- Reengaging Students through Relationship
- Kirsten Hutchison
- Tricia McCann
- Sense Publishers
- Copyright Holder
- SensePublishers-Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- eBook ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- VI, 116