- Overview of how different treatments relate to different cancers, and different stages of cancer development
- Specifically relates different drug treatments to the natural history of cancer, from gene mutation to metastasis, giving a rational explanation to the plethora of new types of drug therapy that have emerged in the last 5 years
- Clarity and simplicity of style, making it user-friendly for newcomers to the field
- Clear statistics on outcomes
Buy this book
- eBook $69.99
price for USA in USD
- ISBN 978-1-84628-991-0
- Digitally watermarked, DRM-free
- Included format: PDF
- ebooks can be used on all reading devices
- Immediate eBook download after purchase
- About this book
The last decade has seen many dramatic changes in cancer chemotherapy, with the introduction of a number of new forms of treatment as well as important developments in the more traditional fields of cytotoxic and hormonal therapy. This book summarises the whole range of systemic cancer therapies, explaining their mode of action and potential side-effects, as well as their clinical applications.
The book is intended as an introductory text for junior doctors, nurses and medical students. It is divided into three sections:
The theoretical basis of cancer chemotherapy – following an historical introduction, the different treatment modalities are explained in the context of basic tumour biology
Practical aspects – covering dosing and drug delivery together with an extensive discussion of possible side-effects, and their management.
Chemotherapy in the management of cancer – explaining the place of drug treatment, and the outcomes that can be expected from chemotherapy, in all the major cancers.
Written by a single author, the book has a consistency of style which makes a wealth of complex information both readily accessible and easily understandable.
- About the authors
Dr Terrence J. Priestman is Clinical Director, Cancer Services, New Cross Hospital Wolverhampton, UK; Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Birmingham, UK; and Series Editor, Cancer BACUP publications. In addition to having published numerous articles and contributed 16 chapters, he also wrote 4 books on cancer chemotherapy, gastrointestinal cancer, coping with chemotherapy, and coping with breast cancer. He was founder editor of Clinical Oncology, deputy editor of Clinical Radiology, and editorial board member of British Journal of Cancer and Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy. He has also been writing for the charity "Cancerbackup", which provides information to cancer patients and their carers.
- Table of contents (3 chapters)
The Theoretical Basis of Cancer Chemotherapy
Some Practical Aspects of Cancer Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy in the Management of Cancer
Table of contents (3 chapters)
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Cancer Chemotherapy in Clinical Practice
- Terrence Priestman
- Springer-Verlag London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- eBook ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- X, 134
- Number of Illustrations
- 15 b/w illustrations, 8 illustrations in colour