Wild By Design
Strategies for Creating Life-Enhancing Landscapes
Authors: Ruddick, MargieFree Preview
- Presenting the first published book of Cooper Hewitt National Design Award winner, Margie Ruddick
- Showcases the high‑profile landscape designer’s design aesthetic with hundreds of four‑color photographs
- Offers a flexible, customizable approach to creating sustainable landscapes as a welcome alternative to the checklist‑heavy LEED rating system
Buy this book
- eBook $44.99
price for USA in USD
- ISBN 978-1-61091-599-1
- Digitally watermarked, DRM-free
- Included format: EPUB, PDF
- ebooks can be used on all reading devices
- Immediate eBook download after purchase
- About this book
Can nature—in all its unruly wildness—be an integral part of creative landscape design? In her beautifully illustrated book, Wild by Design, award-winning designer Margie Ruddick urges designers to look beyond the rules often imposed by both landscaping convention and sustainability checklists. Instead, she offers a set of principles for a more creative and intuitive approach that challenges the entrenched belief that natural processes cannot complement high-level landscape design.
Wild by Design defines and explains the five fundamental strategies Ruddick employs, often in combination, to give life, beauty, and meaning to landscapes: Reinvention, Restoration, Conservation, Regeneration, and Expression. Drawing on her own projects—from New York City’s Queens Plaza, formerly a concrete jungle of traffic, to a desertscape backyard in Baja, California, to the Living Water Park in Chengdu, China—she offers guidance on creating beautiful, healthy landscapes that successfully reconnect people with larger natural systems.
A revealing look into the approach of one of sustainable landscape design’s most innovative practitioners, Wild by Design stretches the boundaries of landscape design, offering readers a set of broader, more flexible strategies and practical examples that allow for the unexpected exuberance of nature to be a welcome part of our gardens, parks, backyards, and cities.
- Table of contents (7 chapters)
How Did We Get Here?
A Laboratory for Wild By Design
Table of contents (7 chapters)
Recommended for you
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Wild By Design
- Book Subtitle
- Strategies for Creating Life-Enhancing Landscapes
- Margie Ruddick
- Island Press/Center for Resource Economics
- Copyright Holder
- eBook ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- XVI, 243
- Number of Illustrations
- 2 b/w illustrations
*immediately available upon purchase as print book shipments may be delayed due to the COVID-19 crisis. ebook access is temporary and does not include ownership of the ebook. Only valid for books with an ebook version. Springer Reference Works are not included.