Between Psychology and Philosophy
East-West Themes and Beyond
Authors: Slote, Michael A.
- Open Access
- Uses insights from psychology to develop philosophical accounts of emotion, empathy, and human development
- Presents compelling accounts of how and why Western philosophical thought eschews acknowledgement of emotion
- Demonstrates that philosophy of mind requires recognition of emotion
- ISBN 978-3-030-22503-2
- The ebook is not yet available online.
- ハードカバー ￥3,931
価格の適用国: Japan (日本円価格は個人のお客様のみ有効) (小計)
- 予定日： October 20, 2019
- ISBN 978-3-030-22502-5
This open access book discusses a variety of important but unprecedented ways in which psychology can be useful to philosophy. The early chapters illustrate this theme via comparisons between Chinese and Western philosophy. It is argued that the Chinese notion of a heart-mind is superior to the Western concept of mind, but then, more even-handedly, the relative strengths and weaknesses of Chinese and Western thought overall are critically examined. In later chapters, the philosophical uses of psychology are treated more specifically in relation to major issues in Western philosophy. Michael Slote shows that empathy and emotion play a role in speech acts (like assertion and thanking) that speech act theory has totally ignored. Similarly, he treats the age-old question of whether justice pays using psychological material that has not previously been recognized. Finally, the implications of psychological egoism are discussed in terms of some new psychological and, indeed, human distinctions. Human life is pervaded by instincts and aspirations that are neither egoistic nor altruistic, and recognizing that fact can help put egoism in its place. It is less of a challenge to morality than we have realized.
Michael Slote is UST Professor of Ethics at the University of Miami. A member of the Royal Irish Academy and former Tanner Lecturer, he has inaugurated the Feng Qi Lectures at East China Normal University and the Nankai University Lectures in East and West Philosophy.
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Between Psychology and Philosophy
- Book Subtitle
- East-West Themes and Beyond
- Michael A. Slote
- Series Title
- Palgrave Studies in Comparative East-West Philosophy
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Copyright Holder
- The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s)
- イーブック ISBN
- ハードカバー ISBN
- Series ISSN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- X, 215