Extremophiles features original research articles, reviews, and method papers on the biology, molecular biology, structure, function, and applications of microbial life at the edges of survivability. Conditions covered include high or low temperature, pressure, acidity, alkalinity, salinity, or desiccation; or in the presence of organic solvents, heavy metals, normally toxic substances, or radiation.
The coverage incorporates aspects of multiple disciplines, including molecular biology, biodiversity, genetics, genomics, metagenomics, proteomics, bioinformatics, survival strategies, macromolecular structure, biotechnology, fermentation technology, ultrastructure, biotransformation, metabolism, enzymology, biomembranes, bioenergetics, biophysics, physiology, cell biology, symbiosis, ecology, bioremediation, methodologies, evolution, phylogeny, taxonomy, astrobiology, and others.
Color figures are free in print and online.
- Presents research and reviews on the biology, structure, function, and applications of life in inhospitable environments
- Examines life at extremes of temperature, pressure, acidity, alkalinity, salinity and oxygen concentration
- Discusses life in the presence of toxic substances, radiation, or host defenses
- Coverage incorporates aspects of multiple disciplines
- 100% of authors who answered a survey reported that they would definitely publish or probably publish in the journal again
- Chief Editor
- Garo Antranikian
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Access options available
- 2.046 (2018)
- Impact factor
- 2.371 (2018)
- Five year impact factor
- 9 days
- Acceptance to publication
- 122,486 (2018)