Protoplasma specializes in the area between structural and molecular analysis of biological systems from gene expression to the sub- and supracellular levels. The journal offers articles on structural and functional cell biology of plants and animals, protists, fungi as well as prokaryotes.
Coverage includes biogenesis, dynamics, and energetics of membrane compartments; targeting and trafficking of macromolecules; cellular dynamics, intracellular transport, and whole-cell locomotion; structure, dynamics, and molecular components of the cytoskeleton; signaling and regulatory cascades; the cell cycle and cell-to-cell communication; medical aspects of cell biology.
Besides research, rapid communications, and comprehensive review articles, Protoplasma publishes reviews of discoveries, and opportunities at the cutting edge of research under the headings New Ideas in Cell Biology.
- Covers the area between structural and molecular analysis of biological systems from gene expression to the sub- and supracellular levels
- Topics include cell biology of single and multicellular organisms, plants and animals; molecular cytology; experimental and quantitative ultrastructure; membrane biology including biogenesis, dynamics, energetics and electrophysiology, and more
- Editors-in-Chief: Peter Nick, Institut für Biologie, Universität Karlsruhe, Germany and Reimer Stick, Universität Bremen, Germany
- 100% of authors who answered a survey reported that they would definitely publish or probably publish in the journal again
- Peter Nick,
- Reimer Stick
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Choice – What is this?
- Impact factor: 2.633 (2018)
- Five year impact factor: 2.583 (2018)
- Submission to first decision: 32 days
- Downloads: 197,590 (2018)