Oecologia publishes innovative ecological research of general interest to a broad international audience. We publish several types of manuscripts in many areas of ecology:
Concepts, Reviews and Syntheses
Views and Comments
Physiological ecology - Original Research
Behavioral ecology - Original Research
Population ecology - Original Research
Plant-microbe-animal interactions - Original Research
Community ecology - Original Research
Ecosystem ecology - Original Research
Global change ecology - Original Research
Conservation ecology -" Original research
In general, studies that are purely descriptive, mathematical, documentary, and/or natural history will not be considered.
In the Concepts, Reviews and Syntheses section, we seek papers on emerging issues in ecology, especially those that cross multiple boundaries in ecology, provide synthesis of important bodies of work or delve into new combinations of theory and observations with the potential to create new paradigms or challenge existing paradigms. These papers are usually invited, but we welcome unsolicited contributions.
In the Views and Comments section, we seek short papers with the intent to provide contrary and/or broader perspectives on papers recently published in Oecologia. Alternatively, pairs of short papers which present opposing views on a topic of high interest in the ecological research community will be published in this section, with the intent to stimulate open debate. In both cases, the papers must be relatively short (up to 3 printed pages in the case of comments on previously-published work or up to 5 printed pages in the case of opposing view pairs of papers), and to contain not only an opinion or criticism on methods or statistics, but also relevant conceptual arguments and/or new data analyses that support the opposing view or comment. Manuscripts or letters intended for the Views and Comments section will be reviewed by one of the Editors-in-Chief and a Handling Editor in the field appropriate to the submission.
Special Topics are a collection of integrated papers on a critical topic of broad interest. Proposals for Special Topics should be submitted to one of the Editors-in-Chief.
Methods are papers that outline new approaches that address standing questions in the discipline.
Original Research provide the core of our journal and represent original investigations that offer new insights into ecological systems.
Why publish with us
- We are one of the most highly cited journals in ecology, with 32,699 citations in 2019.
- We welcome research from across the entire field of ecology, including the latest investigations in physiological ecology, conservation ecology, behavioral ecology, population and community ecology, plant-microbe-animal interactions, ecosystem ecology, global change ecology, and conservation ecology.
- Our renowned team of Editors-in-Chief and highly regarded Editorial Board includes some of the world's leading voices in ecological research.
- Our editorial board nominates the papers for the dedicated section of "Highlighted Student Research". Each year, two awards are given to the outstanding papers by student authors.
- Carlos L. Ballaré,
- Roland Brandl,
- Katherine L. Gross,
- Russell K. Monson,
- Joel C. Trexler,
- Hannu Ylönen
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Learn about publishing OA with us
- 2.654 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 3.094 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 65 days
- Submission to first decision
- 283 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 783,788 (2019)
Just add water: rapid assembly of new communities in previously dry riverbeds, and limited long-distance effects on existing communities
Authors (first, second and last of 4)
Nest substrate, more than ant activity, drives fungal pathogen community dissimilarity in seed-dispersing ant nests
Authors (first, second and last of 7)
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our usual peer review process. We thank referees for their continued support in these challenging times and ask authors for their patience and understanding.
You are invited to contact Dr. Joel Trexler, Editor-in-Chief, at email@example.com if you would like to submit a photo for consideration as the journal cover.
Oecologia now has a section dedicated to highlighting exceptional, original research publications that are part of graduate or undergraduate student theses and carry the name of the student as the lead author.
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/ Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Biological and Agricultural Index
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Energy & Power Source
- EBSCO Environment
- EBSCO OmniFile
- EBSCO Science & Technology Collection
- EBSCO Science Full Text Select
- EBSCO Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide
- Elsevier Biobase
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Algology, Mycology and Protozoology Abstracts (Microbiology C)
- ProQuest Animal Behavior Abstracts
- ProQuest Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts (ASFA)
- ProQuest Bacteriology Abstracts (Microbiology B)
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Earth, Atmospheric & Aquatic Science Database
- ProQuest Ecology Abstracts
- ProQuest Entomology Abstracts
- ProQuest Environmental Science
- ProQuest Genetics Abstracts
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest Health Research Premium Collection
- ProQuest Industrial and Applied Microbiology Abstracts (Microbiology A)
- ProQuest Medical Database
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest Oceanic Abstracts
- ProQuest Pharma Collection
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Virology and AIDS Abstracts
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)
- Zoological Record