Call for Papers on Special Issue ‘Adaptive responses of plants to environmental changes’ guest edited by Dr. Yves Deveaux! Find more information in the ‘Journal Updates’.
Check out DGE new Aims and Scope!
DGE accepts the following article formats Original Papers, Short Communications, Reviews, Perspective articles, Technical Notes, and “Database Corner”.
Share your ideas for Special Issues, Reviews, or Collections with the Editor-in-Chief Dr. Angelika Stollewerk and the Reviews Editor Dr. Kristen Panfilio.
Development Genes and Evolution publishes high-quality reports on all aspects of developmental and evolutionary biology. This builds on the journal’s long history of focusing on developmental mechanisms from a broad perspective. The topics covered by the journal are exemplified by the following themes:
- Developmental processes of all life stages in model and non-model organisms
- Developmental diversity and evolution of plants and animals
- Genes and pattern formation, cell lineages and fate maps
- Cellular mechanisms of morphogenesis and organogenesis
- Stem cells and regeneration in development and evolution
- Quantitative genetics and functional genomics of developmental processes
- Evolution of developmentally relevant genes
- Ecological influence on developmental and evolutionary processes (eco-evo-devo)
Details on specific article formats are provided on the Submission Guidelines page
Open Access funding and support
Highlights on our publication procedures
- No page charges
- Free color figures in print and online!
- Up-to-date information on Optional Open Access Publication Fee (APC) can be found under “Learn about publishing OA with us”
- The journal operates under single-blind peer review model
For further information on FREE open access options for authors through institutional open access agreements, please see
DGE History in short
A short outline on the journal's history of shaping and keeping pace with changing perspectives on developmental biology research:
- Founded in 1894 as Archiv für Entwicklungsmechanik der Organismen by Wilhelm Roux.
- Continued from 1925 as Wilhelm Roux’ Archiv für Entwicklungsmechanik der Organismen, edited by Benno Romeis, Hans Spemann, Walther Vogt, Otto Mangold, Alfred Kūhn, Gerhard Krause.
- Continued from 1975 as Wilhelm Roux’ Archives of Developmental Biology, edited by Gerhard Krause, Rudolf Weber.
- Continued from 1985 as Roux’ Archives of Developmental Biology, edited by Rudolf Weber, Klaus Sander.
- Continued from 1996 as Development, Genes and Evolution, edited by Diethard Tautz (1996-2004), Volker Hartenstein (2004-2015), Angelika Stollewerk (2016- ).
- Angelika Stollewerk
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 1.339 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 1.797 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 42 days
- Submission to first decision
- 124 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 78,740 (2019)
Authors (first, second and last of 7)
Evolutionary conservation of opsin gene expression patterns in the compound eyes of darkling beetles
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Authors (first, second and last of 9)
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Read more about the aims and scope of this special issue.
Invite to read this Open Access Review on Experimental duplication of bilaterian body axes in spider embryos: Holm’s organizer and self-regulation of embryonic fields
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
- Current Contents/ Life Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO STM Source
- Elsevier Biobase
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- Pathway Studio
- ProQuest Algology, Mycology and Protozoology Abstracts (Microbiology C)
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Calcium and Calcified Tissue Abstracts
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Entomology Abstracts
- ProQuest Genetics Abstracts
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest Health Research Premium Collection
- ProQuest Medical Database
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest Neurosciences Abstracts
- ProQuest Nucleic Acids Abstracts
- ProQuest Pharma Collection
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)
- Zoological Record