Aims and scope
1) Aims & Scope:
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration (EMJE) is a regional peer-reviewed journal that presents original research studies and reviews in all areas of the Environmental Sciences from the Mediterranean and surrounding regions.
The journal highlights research into potential solutions for environmental concerns and protection requirements on the basis of innovative approaches that contribute to preserving a sustainable environment in the region.
In particular, the journal’s goal is to provide a scientific forum that promotes the exchange of knowledge and fosters collaborations between the countries of the northern and southern shores of the Mediterranean.
In addition, the journal seeks to make decision makers from related sectors aware of the importance of integrating environmental considerations into their respective activities.
It combines a unique focus on interdisciplinary cooperation (natural sciences, technology and engineering, and social sciences) with the broader focus on solution-based sustainability research, combined with regional specification: Euro-Mediterranean area (encompasses all the European countries and the countries on the Mediterranean Rim).
2) Major Topics / Submission Tracks:
Authors submit by selecting the appropriate major topic (subject category) among 13 topcis, each managed by a Chief Editor:
- Track 1. Engineering applications for environmental management
- Track 2. Process control, simulations and intensification for environmental management
- Track 3. Ecotoxicology, environmental safety and bioremediation
- Track 4. Biotechnology for environmental management
- Track 5. Climate-change-related effects on the environment and ecological systems
- Track 6. Natural resources, agriculture and the environment
- Track 7. Smart technologies for environmentally friendly energy production
- Track 8. Remote sensing and GIS for environmental monitoring and management
- Track 9. Environmental impacts of natural hazards and environmental risk assessment
- Track 10. Sustainable management of marine and coastal environments
- Track 11. Sustainable management of the urban environment, the indoor and built environment
- Track 12. Ecosystems and biodiversity conservation
- Track 13. Environmental-change-related impacts on human, animal, and ecosystem health
3) Environmental Integration:
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration seeks to make decision makers from related sectors aware of the importance of integrating environmental considerations into their respective activities.
The integration of environmental concerns into policy decisions (Environmental Integration) must be intensified in order to move towards sustainable development. In this context, the journal supports the European Commission – Environment and other official organizations in the region in their mission to protect, preserve and improve the Euro-Mediterranean environment for present and future generations.
4) Evaluation process:
After technical check and screening for English quality all new submissions are automatically screened using CrossCheck within the editorial system to detect cases of suspected plagiarism. Editors are also able to run a similarity report at any other point during the review process or post-publication.
All manuscripts are subject to a double-blind peer review process during at least 2 rounds coordinated by a Chief Editor responsible for the respective submission track (major topic). The average time from submission until the final decision is eight months. The acceptance rate is around 30%. The evaluation workflow is supervised and monitored by 2 Editors-in-Chief, one based on the northern shore of the Mediterranean and the other on the southern shore.
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration is published by Springer in collaboration with scientists based around the Mediterranean basin. It has started publishing its first volume in 2016. In 2019, it has achieved successfully the Web of Science ESCI indexation. It is currently under evaluation for indexation by Scopus.
6) Journal's Conference:
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration has its own conference aiming at gathering scientists from both shores of the Mediterranean to discuss the newest findings on the most pressing environmental issues:
- 1st Euro-Mediterranean Conference for Environmental Integration (www.emcei.net/2017)
- 2nd Euro-Mediterranean Conference for Environmental Integration (www.emcei.net)
The Proceedings of the 1st EMCEI has been indexed in the Web of Science Conference Proceedings Citation Index – Science (CPCI-S).
The Proceedings of the 2nd EMCEI will appear on Springer Series Environmental Science and Engineering which is indexed in Scopus.
Link to EMCEI Proceedings: https://link.springer.com/conference/emcei
7) Journal's Editorial Meeting:
The editorial meeting of the journal is held every year on the first day of EMCEI (journal's conference).
8) Journal Editorial Policy:
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration is committed to upholding the integrity of the scientific record. As a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) the journal will follow the COPE guidelines on how to deal with potential acts of misconduct. Authors should refrain from misrepresenting research results which could damage the trust in the journal and ultimately the entire scientific endeavor. Maintaining integrity of the research and its presentation can be achieved by following the rules of good scientific practice as detailed here: