History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences is an interdisciplinary journal committed to providing an integrative approach to understanding the life sciences. It welcomes submissions from historians, philosophers, biologists, physicians, ethicists and scholars in the social studies of science. Contributors are expected to offer broad and interdisciplinary perspectives on the development of biology, biomedicine and related fields, especially as these perspectives illuminate the foundations, development, and/or implications of scientific practices and related developments. Submissions which are collaborative and feature different disciplinary approaches are especially encouraged, as are submissions written by senior and junior scholars (including graduate students).
HPLS also welcomes submissions featuring novel formats. While it is anticipated most submissions will represent recent scholarship, they may also include essays on contemporary issues or perspectives, results of unique workshops, and/or discussions featuring a wide-range of perspectives. Papers are published on the understanding that they have not been published before and are not concurrently under offer to any other journal. Authors will usually receive a decision on their articles within 3 months of receipt and since this journal uses continuous article publication accepted authors do not have to wait and are directly published in an issue.
Journal encourages submissions of:
- Historical and philosophical research of all life science disciplines
- Interdisciplinary research of Medicine
- English Book reviews of non-English books that fall within area of remit
- Philosophical or historical discussions about Bioethics
- Open to historical, philosophical and social studies of the full range of the life sciences, including medicine, agriculture, environmental science and biotechnology
- Presents pioneering discussions of the philosophical, social and historical relevance of key developments in the life sciences
- Represents research communities and traditions around the world
- Includes Nominated papers and Comments & Notes with discussion pieces and review articles
- Main Editor
- Sabina Leonelli,
- Giovanni Boniolo
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Choice – What is this?
- Impact factor: 0.750 (2018)
- Five year impact factor: 0.592 (2018)
- Submission to first decision: 80 days
- Acceptance to publication: 12 days
- Downloads: 28,129 (2018)