The “Viewpoints on IT & Tourism” Series in the Journal of Information Technology & Tourism
Information technology (IT) has changed the fabric of travel and tourism in many ways since the commercialization of the Internet nearly 25 years ago. In recent years, the impact of IT on travel and tourism seems to have accelerated owing to the widespread adoption of the smartphone, the growth of social media, and the increasingly “smart” technological environment characterized by the Internet of Things, Big Data and machine learning-based tools. These new technological conditions present numerous opportunities and pose many new challenges for us to better understand travel behavior and develop effective strategies in tourism management and development.
In order to provide a platform to discuss some of the critical issues related to IT and travel and tourism, the Journal of Information Technology & Tourism (JITT) will publish a “Viewpoints on IT & Tourism” series, whereby influential authors will be invited to offer critical commentaries on a selected topic. The Viewpoints are not summaries or reviews of literature; rather, they are opinion pieces intended to create dialogues, conversations, critique and debates (and hopefully a little fun!) on important issues. A "viewpoint" typically consists of two or more commentaries (less than 5,000 words each) examining a specific issue from different perspectives (e.g., IT, social science, and/or industry). The Viewpoints series will be published in regular issues in JITT.
Proposed topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Critical issues (e.g., ethics) related to artificial intelligence.
- Emerging technologies, such as Blockchain.
- New analytical methods in IT & tourism research and practice, such as machine learning.
- Design thinking and related methods.
- Spatial analytics and sensory technologies.• Travel distribution channels and tourism service ecosystems dynamics.
- New Frontiers in understanding adoption and diffusion of technology.
- Cross-fertilization and IT applications in different sectors of the tourism industry.
- The future of the sharing economy.
- Next generation recommender systems.
Viewpoints submissions are accepted on a rolling basis. If you have a topic of interest and/or someone in mind who could make a good contribution to the series, please feel free to contact the Editorial Team.
The Viewpoints Editorial Team:
Rodolfo Baggio, Matthias Fuchs, Ulrike Gretzel & Zheng Xiang