Perspectives on Medical Education mission is support and enrich collaborative scholarship between education researchers and clinical educators, and to advance new knowledge regarding clinical education practices.
- Official journal of the The Netherlands Association of Medical Education (NVMO).
- Perspectives on Medical Education is a non-profit Open Access journal with no charges for authors to submit or publish an article, and the full text of all articles is freely available immediately upon publication, thanks to the sponsorship of The Netherlands Association for Medical Education.
- Perspectives on Medical Education is highly visible thanks to its unrestricted online access policy.
Perspectives on Medical Education positions itself at the dynamic intersection of educational research and clinical education. While other journals in the health professional education domain orient predominantly to education researchers or to clinical educators, Perspectives positions itself at the collaborative interface between these perspectives. This unique positioning reflects the journal’s mission to support and enrich collaborative scholarship between education researchers and clinical educators, and to advance new knowledge regarding clinical education practices. Reflecting this mission, the journal both welcomes original research papers arising from scholarly collaborations among clinicians, teachers and researchers and papers providing resources to develop the community’s ability to conduct such collaborative research. The journal’s audience includes researchers and practitioners: researchers who wish to explore challenging questions of health professions education and clinical teachers who wish to both advance their practice and envision for themselves a collaborative role in scholarly educational innovation. This audience of researchers, clinicians and educators is both international and interdisciplinary.
The journal has a long history. In 1982, the journal was founded by the Dutch Association for Medical Education, as a Dutch language journal (Netherlands Journal of Medical Education). As a Dutch journal it fuelled educational research and innovation in the Netherlands. It is one of the factors for the Dutch success in medical education. In 2012, it widened its scope, transforming into an international English language journal. The journal swiftly became international in all aspects: the readers, authors, reviewers and editorial board members.
The editorial board members represent the different parental disciplines in the field of medical education, e.g. clinicians, social scientists, biomedical scientists, statisticians and linguists. Several of them are leading scholars. Three of the editors are in the top ten of most cited authors in the medical education field. Two editors were awarded the Karolinska Institute Prize for Research. Presently, Erik Driessen leads the journal as Editor in Chief.
Perspectives on Medical Education is highly visible thanks to its unrestricted online access policy. It is sponsored by theThe Netherlands Association of Medical Education and offers free manuscript submission.
- Erik Driessen
- Publishing model
- Open Access. Learn about publishing OA with us
- 41 days
- Submission to first decision
- 139 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 250,395 (2019)
“It is you, me on the team together, and my child”: Attending, resident, and patient family perspectives on patient ownership
A randomised trial of the effectiveness of instructor versus automated manikin feedback for training junior doctors in life support skills
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Impact of deliberate practice on evidence-based medicine attitudes and behaviours of health care professionals
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Current Contents/Clinical Medicine
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest British Nursing Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Education Database
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest Health Research Premium Collection
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Database
- ProQuest Pharma Collection
- ProQuest Social Science Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)