Biology and Fertility of Soils publishes in English original papers, reviews and short communications on all fundamental and applied aspects of biology – microflora and microfauna - and fertility of soils. It offers a forum for research aimed at broadening the understanding of biological functions, processes and interactions in soils, particularly concerning the increasing demands of agriculture, deforestation and industrialization. The journal includes articles on techniques and methods that evaluate processes, biogeochemical interactions and ecological stresses, and sometimes presents special issues on relevant topics.
The Founding Editor is Johannes C. G. Ottow; the Editor-in-Chief is Paolo Nannipieri, Dipartimento Scienza del Suolo
e Nutrizione della Pianta, Università di Firenze, Italy.
Why publish with us
- Ranked in the top quartile of Soil Science journals worldwide, we publish high quality research, reviews, and position and opinion papers.
- We focus on fundamental and applied aspects of microflora, microfauna, and the fertility (productivity) of soils, and welcome Position and Opinion papers.
- We cover techniques and methods that evaluate processes, biogeochemical interactions and ecological stresses; and present special issues based on relevant topics and related meetings.
- Paolo Nannipieri
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 5.521 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 4.790 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 33 days
- Submission to first decision
- 162 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 309,124 (2020)
Authors (first, second and last of 4)
Authors (first, second and last of 11)
Biochar decreased rhizodeposits stabilization via opposite effects on bacteria and fungi: diminished fungi-promoted aggregation and enhanced bacterial mineralization
Authors (first, second and last of 8)
Responses of microbial activity to carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus additions in forest mineral soils differing in organic carbon content
Biology and Fertility of Soils recommends reading content selected by the Editor in Chief to help you to prepare your manuscript before submission to the journal.
This special issue will regroup reviews, perspectives and original research articles on BNI, to bring out a coherent approach and research strategy to transform the current nitrate-centric agricultural systems towards ammonium-centric future production systems.
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
This editorial announces two new types of publications that can be submitted to Biology and Fertility of Soils: position paper and opinion paper. The intention is to promote: i) hypothesis-driven research by considering the state-of-the art of a target topic in a scientific age dominated by technology-driven research; ii) the revision of topics studied in soil science decades ago since decades; iii) the reconsideration of some neglected keystone concepts in soil biology and biochemistry. Indeed the ignorance of bibliography published before the arrival of the electronic age has led to the negligence of important concepts developed by soil biologists and biochemists...
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
- Current Contents/ Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Energy & Power Source
- EBSCO STM Source
- EBSCO Sustainability Reference Center
- Elsevier Biobase
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- Pathway Studio
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts (ASFA)
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Earth, Atmospheric & Aquatic Science Database
- ProQuest Ecology Abstracts
- ProQuest Environmental Science
- ProQuest Industrial and Applied Microbiology Abstracts (Microbiology A)
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest Water Resources Abstracts
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)
- Zoological Record