The Journal of Classification presents original and valuable papers in the field of classification, numerical taxonomy, multidimensional scaling and other ordination techniques, clustering, tree structures and other network models, as well as associated models and algorithms for fitting them. Articles support advances in methodology, while demonstrating compelling substantive applications.
The journal also publishes comprehensive review articles.
Among the disciplines represented are statistics, psychology, biology, information retrieval, anthropology, archeology, astronomy, business, chemistry, computer science, economics, engineering, geography, geology, linguistics, marketing, mathematics, medicine, political science, psychiatry, sociology, and soil science.
Published three times a year, each issue typically comprises four sections: articles, short notes and comments, software abstracts, and book reviews.
The Editor-in-Chief is Douglas Steinley, Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, USA.Officially cited as: J Classif
- Offers papers in the field of classification, numerical taxonomy, multidimensional scaling and other ordination techniques, clustering, tree structures and other network models
- Presents articles, short notes and comments, software abstracts, and book reviews
- Coverage extends to statistics, psychology, biology, information retrieval, anthropology, archeology and more
- Editor-in-Chief: Douglas Steinley, Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, USA
- Paul D. McNicholas
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Access options available
- 1.156 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 3.456 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 183 days
- Submission to first decision
- 589 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 26,470 (2019)
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times.
Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
The Journal of Classification is delighted to announce Paul D. McNicholas as the new Editor-in-Chief of the journal.
Read recently published open access articles from the Journal of Classification.
For more information about the Classification Society, please visit the society's website.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- ACM Digital Library
- Biological Abstracts
- Current Contents / Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Current Index to Statistics
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA)
- EBSCO Science & Technology Collection
- ERIH PLUS
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- Journal Citation Reports/Social Sciences Edition
- Mathematical Reviews
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies & Aerospace Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Computer Science
- ProQuest Engineering
- ProQuest LISA (Library and Information Sciences Abstracts)
- ProQuest Library Science Database
- ProQuest Materials Science and Engineering Database
- ProQuest Research Library
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest Social Science Collection
- ProQuest Technology Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Research Papers in Economics (RePEc)
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- Social Science Citation Index
- UGC-CARE List (India)
- Zoological Record