Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology publishes reviews, original contributions and commentaries dealing with quantitative empirical and theoretical studies in the analysis of animal behavior at the level of the individual, group, population, community, and species. The section "Methods" considers submissions concerning statistical procedures and their problems, as well as with problems related to measurement techniques.
Special emphasis is placed on ultimate functions and evolution of ecological adaptations of behavior, in addition to mechanistic studies of proximate cause.
Among aspects of particular interest are intraspecific behavioral interactions, with special focus on social behavior including altruism, cooperation and parental care; pre- and postzygotic sexual selection;kin recognition and kin selection, group structure, social networks; interspecific behavioral interactions including competition, resource partitioning, speciation, foraging, mutualism, predator-prey interactions and parasitism; signalling, behavioral ecophysiology, information processing and neuroecology; behavioral genetics; sociogenomics, behavioral plasticity and behavioral syndromes; dispersal and orientation in space and time; and relevant evolutionary and functional theory.
The Chief Editors are Theo C. M. Bakker, Bonn, Germany (vertebrates) and James F. A. Traniello, Boston, U.S.A. (invertebrates).
Continuous Article Publishing
As of 2017, Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology has changed its publication structure from paginated issues to a consecutive publishing model: Continuous Article Publishing.
This means that papers are published in a volume/issue immediately after acceptance. As a further aspect of the new system, articles are no longer paginated sequentially by issue. Therefore, every article starts with page number 1. Page numbers are not used for article citation but every article has a citation ID number, called the ArticleCitationID. The ArticleCitationID is replacing the page numbers in the citation line, which includes the journal citation title, year, volume number and ArticleCitationID now .
Example: Behav Ecol Sociobiol (2017) 71: 123
This method of citation is accepted by the Web of Science/Journal Citation Reports (ISI).
New Journal Section: Featured Student Research Papers
Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology has initiated a new section dedicated to exceptional, original publications that result from graduate or undergraduate student research and carry the name of the student as the lead author.
Papers in this category will be published under the heading "Featured Student Research". Furthermore, each featured paper will be highlighted in the Springer Table of Contents Alerts that is sent to about 5,000 e-subscribers each month.
This initiative is intended to honor the highest quality student research. Distinguished papers will be recommended by Associate Editors for Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, following the standard peer review process.
Students who wish their papers to be considered for the honor should explain in the cover letter accompanying the submission the main reasons why the paper represents a significant contribution to the field, and mark the appropriate box for the Featured Student Research paper during the online submission process.
Why publish with us
- We publish a broad range of quantitative empirical and theoretical studies in the analysis of animal behavior, at individual, group, population, community, and species level.
- We are ranked by Clarivate in the top two quartiles for behavioural sciences and ecology, and in the first quartile for zoology.
- Our international Editorial Board provides rigorous peer review and expert guidance throughout the publication process.
- We provide high levels of author satisfaction, with 90% of our published authors reporting that they would definitely or probably publish with us again.
- Theo C. M. Bakker,
- James F. A. Traniello
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 2.277 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 2.287 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 58 days
- Submission to first decision
- 158 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 468,213 (2020)
Auditory and distance cues interact to modulate female gray treefrog preferences for male advertisement calls
Information content of ultraviolet-reflecting colour patches and visual perception of body coloration in the Tyrrhenian wall lizard Podarcis tiliguerta
Inferring the mating system in the burrowing shrimp Lepidophthalmus bocourti (Decapoda, Axiidea, Callichiridae) from the social structure and sexual dimorphism
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Geographical variation in squirrel mating calls and their recognition limits in the widely distributed species complex
Authors (first, second and last of 7)
Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology is proud to announce an upcoming collection, which will identify and address the challenges in understanding the drivers of reproductive success in the wild. Find out more.
Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology is proud to announce an upcoming collection, which will evaluate the relation between phenotypic plasticity and Darwinian adaptation in the context of anthropogenic disturbance. Find out more.
Behaviorial Ecology and Sociobiology is proud to announce an upcoming collection, which will highlight the impact of social behavior on disease transmission and infection control. Find out more.
Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology is proud to announce an upcoming collection, which will extend the literature on the impacts of sexual selection and sexual conflict. Find out more.
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- BFI List
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/ Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO Criminal Justice Abstracts
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Environment
- EBSCO Sustainability Reference Center
- EBSCO Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide
- ERIH PLUS
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Animal Behavior Abstracts
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Chemoreception Abstracts
- ProQuest Criminal Justice
- ProQuest Earth, Atmospheric & Aquatic Science Database
- ProQuest Ecology Abstracts
- ProQuest Entomology Abstracts
- ProQuest Environmental Science
- ProQuest Genetics Abstracts
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest Health Research Premium Collection
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest Psychology Database
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest Social Science Collection
- ProQuest Sociology
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)
- Zoological Record