The purpose of this journal is to catalyse, foster, and disseminate an awareness and understanding of the historical development of ideas in contemporary physics, and more generally, ideas about how Nature works.
The scope explicitly includes:
- Contributions addressing the history of physics and of physical ideas and concepts, the interplay of physics and mathematics as well as the natural sciences, and the history and philosophy of sciences, together with discussions of experimental ideas and designs - inasmuch as they clearly relate, and preferably add, to the understanding of modern physics.
- Annotated and/or contextual translations of relevant foreign-language texts.
- Careful characterisations of old and/or abandoned ideas including past mistakes and false leads, thereby helping working physicists to assess how compelling contemporary ideas may turn out to be in future, i.e. with hindsight.
The scope explicitly excludes:
- The publication of new results at the forefront of physics research.
EPJ H addresses the history of physics primarily from the perspective of physics and physicists . Being an integral part of a core physics publishing platform, it will:
- Support physicists in any serious attempts to reflect, understand, and improve on the culture of their own discipline.
- Promote fruitful interaction between working physicists and historians of sciences.
Articles may therefore vary significantly as regards the type, level and amount of technical discussion that is required to convey precise meaning to the respective communities. However, the editors will insist that comprehensive and lucid non-technical introductions and summaries are provided for every contribution.
All papers will be published in English. Both regular articles and reviews will be considered.
Commonly used title abbreviations: Eur. Phys. J. H, Eur.Phys.J.H, EPJH, EPJ H
- Michael Eckert,
- James D. Wells
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Access options available
- 1.483 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 1.099 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 10,173 (2019)
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Co-Publisher information
- The European Physical Journal is jointly published by EDP Sciences, Società Italiana di Fisica and Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Astrophysics Data System (ADS)
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO STM Source
- Google Scholar
- INIS Atomindex
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies & Aerospace Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Technology Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- UGC-CARE List (India)