The Korean Society of Oceanography (KSO)
The KSO founded in July 1966, is a professional organization incorporated to serve the members working in various fields of oceanography, physical-, geological-, chemical- and biological-oceanography, in Korea. The KSO established in order to contribute the elevation and replenishment of oceanological knowledge and the development and conservancy of the ocean resources and marine environment.
- Publication of the Society’s journal in Korean including abstract in English
- Organize conferences, symposiums, workshops, training courses, field works and technical cruises
- Undertake research projects and presents awards for distinguished professionals in oceanography field
- Recommendations on policies for the advancement of oceanography and marine environmental development
- Overall activities and programs contributing to the objectives of the Society including international exchange of information
Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)
Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute (KORDI), which has driven development of the marine sciences and technology of Korea for over 40 years since its establishment in 1973, is writing its new history on July 1, 2012, with a new name of Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST).
KIOST will play a major role in realizing a dream of becoming a prosperous ocean nation through innovative and leading ocean research and development in fundamental and applied ocean science and technology.
- Research on ocean resources and related applications and commercialization of such resources for the development of marine science and technology and the marine industry
- Research on ocean and polar science and technology policies and institutions
- Fostering of outstanding professionals in the marine sector and public services
- Development, inspection, and repair of marine-related equipment, machinery, and technology
- Establishment and operation of marine infrastructure, such as marine science research stations
- Commissioned research, joint research, and technology partnerships with domestic and overseas universities, research institutions, and companies