- Addresses the challenges of achieving food security globally.
- Addresses the constraints - physical, biological, economic and socio-political - that limit food production and obstruct access to healthy diets.
- An official publication of the International Society for Plant Pathology (ISPP).
Founded by Richard Strange and Peter Scott in 2008 under the aegis of the International Society for Plant Pathology (ISPP)
Food Security is a wide audience, interdisciplinary, international journal dedicated to the procurement, access (economic and physical), and quality of food, in all its dimensions. Scales range from the individual to communities, and to the world food system. We strive to publish high-quality scientific articles, where quality includes, but is not limited to, the quality and clarity of text, and the validity of methods and approaches.
Food Security is the initiative of a distinguished international group of scientists from different disciplines who hold a deep concern for the challenge of global food security, together with a vision of the power of shared knowledge as a means of meeting that challenge. To address the challenge of global food security, the journal seeks to address the constraints - physical, biological and socio-economic - which not only limit food production but also the ability of people to access a healthy diet.
Food Security publishes a diversity of refereed research papers, together with review articles, case studies and letters to the editor. The journal covers the principles and practice of food security per se, taking an overview of the subject or analysing it with a broad perspective over its many component disciplines. All the dimensions of food security are covered by the Journal, from production, to stability, to access (physical and economic), stocks, markets and trade (local to global), as well as the nutritional value of food. We particularly value submissions that take a synthetic view of the science, sociology and economics of food production, agricultural development, access to food, and nutrition.
Food Security does not seek to duplicate the coverage of the many publications that focus specifically on those component disciplines.
From this perspective, the journal covers the following areas:
- Global food needs: the mismatch between population and the ability to provide adequate nutrition
- Global food potential and global food production
- Natural constraints to satisfying global food needs:
- Climate, climate variability, and climate change
- Desertification and flooding
- Natural disasters
- Soils, soil quality and threats to soils, edaphic and other abiotic constraints to production
- Biotic constraints to production, pathogens, pests, and weeds in their effects on sustainable production
- The sociological contexts of food production, access, quality, and consumption.
- Nutrition, food quality and food safety.
- Socio-political factors that impinge on the ability to satisfy global food needs:
- Land, agricultural and food policy
- International relations and trade
- Access to food
- Financial policy
- Wars and ethnic unrest
- Research policies and priorities to ensure food security in its various dimensions.
Food Security is an official publication of the International Society for Plant Pathology (ISPP)
Food Security is available through Springer Developing Countries Initiative such as AGORA and HINARI.
- Serge Savary
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 2.095 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 3.285 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 104 days
- Submission to first decision
- 350 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 361,676 (2019)
Challenges and opportunities for enhancing food security and greenhouse gas mitigation in smallholder farming in sub-Saharan Africa. A review
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Mapping the production-consumption gap of an urban food system: an empirical case study of food security and resilience
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
The International Society for Plant Pathology (ISPP) promotes the world-wide development of plant pathology and the dissemination of knowledge about plant diseases and plant health management.
Food Security is an official publication of the Society. Find out more.
Find out what Nobel Peace Laureate Norman Borlaug writes
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/ Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Google Scholar
- IFIS Publishing
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest ABI/INFORM
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Business Premium Collection
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Research Papers in Economics (RePEc)
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)