Journal of African American Studies examines topics concerning social transformations that impact the life chances of continental Africans and the African diaspora. It publishes original research on issues of professional and disciplinary concern for the social progress of people of African descent.
The journal features empirical, methodological, and theoretical papers as well as literary criticism. It covers the full spectrum of this interdisciplinary field, containing diverse methods and perspectives that include anthropology, art, economics, law, literature, management science, political science, psychology, sociology, social policy research, and others.
SCImago Journal and Country Rank (SJR) 2017: 0.268
68 out of 128 on the Gender Studies list
537 out of 1103 on the Sociology and Political Science list
189 out of 876 on the Culture Studies list
SJR is a measure of the journal’s relative impact in its field, based on its number of citations and number of articles per publication year.
Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2017: 0.965
The SNIP measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. The impact of a single citation is given higher value in subject areas where citations are less likely, and vice versa.
CiteScore 2017: 0.22
- Examines topics on the social transformations of people of African descent
- Examines the dynamics and conditions that impact the life chances of African descended peoples wherever they may be in the world.
- Publishes original research on issues that have real life consequences for the social, political and economic progress of African descended peoples.
- Features empirical, methodological, and theoretical papers as well as literary criticism
- Covers the full spectrum of this multifaceted discipline
- Main Editor
- Judson L. Jeffries
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Access options available
- 169 days
- Submission to first decision
- 106 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 76,490 (2019)
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
The Journal of African American Studies, a peer-reviewed, multidisciplinary, and interdisciplinary research journal published by Springer, is preparing a special issue marking the
25th anniversary of Kobe Bean Bryant’s NBA debut.
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO International Security & Counter-Terrorism Reference Center
- EBSCO Risk Management Reference Center
- EBSCO Sociological Collection
- Emerging Sources Citation Index
- Gale Academic OneFile
- Gale InfoTrac
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Ethnic NewsWatch
- ProQuest International Index to Black Periodicals (IIBP)
- ProQuest Social Science Collection
- ProQuest Sociology
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon