Published by the Indian Academy of Sciences, the Journal of Biosciences covers all areas of Biology and is India’s premier journal within its scope. It is indexed in Current Contents and other standard Biological and Medical databases.
The Journal of Biosciences began in 1934 as the Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Section B). In 1978 it split into Proceedings-Animal Sciences, Proceedings-Plant Sciences and Proceedings-Experimental Biology. Proceedings-Experimental Biology was renamed Journal of Biosciences in 1979; in 1991, it merged with Proceedings-Animal Sciences and Proceedings-Plant Sciences.
Articles span a broad range of relevant topics, including, for example, protein classification by surface comparisons; the contribution of bioinformatics to genome and genomics research, and mathematical modelling of spatio-temporal interactions within the cell.
- Published by the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Covers all areas of biology
- Founded 1934; now the premier journal of its country within its scope
- Basuthkar Jagadeeshwar Rao
- Publishing model
- Impact factor: 1.823 (2018)
- Five year impact factor: 1.800 (2018)
- Submission to first decision: 61 days
- Downloads: 50,050 (2018)