Sustainability Science probes interactions between global, social, and human systems, the complex mechanisms that lead to degradation of these systems, and concomitant risks to human well-being. The journal provides a platform for building sustainability science as an evolving academic discipline which can point the way to a sustainable global society by facing challenges that existing disciplines have not addressed. These include endeavors to simultaneously understand phenomena and solve problems, uncertainty and application of the precautionary principle, the co-evolution of knowledge and recognition of problems, and trade-offs between global and local problem solving.
The journal promotes science-based predictions and impact assessments of global change, and seeks ways to ensure that these can be understood and accepted by society. Sustainability Science creates a transdisciplinary academic structure and discovery process that fuses the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
Why publish with us
- Editor-in-Chief is Kazuhiko Takeuchi, Director and Project Professor of the Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S) at the University of Tokyo, Japan.
- Our journal probes the interactions between global, social, and human systems, and provides a platform for building sustainability science as an evolving academic discipline.
- We promote science-based predictions and impact assessments of global change, and the public acceptance of findings.
- Kazuhiko Takeuchi
- Managing Editor
- Osamu Saito
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 5.301 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 5.263 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 42 days
- Submission to first decision
- 222 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 668,467 (2020)
This is part of 1 collection:
A co-designed heuristic guide for investigating the peace-sustainability nexus in the context of global change
Authors (first, second and last of 11)This is part of 1 collection:
AuthorsThis is part of 1 collection:
Scenario planning tools for mitigating industrial impacts on First Nations subsistence economies in British Columbia, Canada
Authors (first, second and last of 8)
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Sustainability Science is published by Springer on behalf of The Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science of the University of Tokyo (IR3S) and the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES).
Find proposal format, special feature calendar and submission details here.
A book series from the editorial office of Sustainability Science.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- BFI List
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/ Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
- EBSCO Agriculture Plus
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Energy & Power Source
- EBSCO Environment
- EBSCO Sustainability Reference Center
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals and Series
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest ABI/INFORM
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Business Premium Collection
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Earth, Atmospheric & Aquatic Science Database
- ProQuest Engineering
- ProQuest Environmental Science
- ProQuest Materials Science and Engineering Database
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest Research Library
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Science Database
- ProQuest Sustainability Science Abstracts
- ProQuest Technology Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- Semantic Scholar
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)