The Journal of General Internal Medicine is the official journal of the Society of General Internal Medicine. It promotes improved patient care, research, and education in primary care, general internal medicine, and hospital medicine. Its articles focus on topics such as clinical medicine, epidemiology, prevention, health care delivery, curriculum development, and numerous other non-traditional themes, in addition to classic clinical research on problems in internal medicine.
JGIM is ranked #1 in the Google Scholar H-5 Index of Primary Health Care, with a 2019 H-5 Index of 57.
Why publish with us
- We are the official journal of the Society of General Internal Medicine, received by all Society members and ranked #1 in the Google Scholar H-5 Index of Primary Health Care.
- Highly accessible through SpringerLink, we publish to a broad audience, recording approximately 1.5 million article downloads each year.
- The journal publishes practice-based evidence to support evidence-based practice, in internal medicine, primary care and hospital medicine.
- With our rigorous and swift peer review process, the journal is highly rated by authors, with over 80% reporting an excellent or good publishing experience with us.
- Steven Asch,
- Carol Bates,
- Jeff Jackson
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 5.128 (2020)
- Impact factor
- 6.07 (2020)
- Five year impact factor
- 29 days
- Submission to first decision
- 139 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 2,548,116 (2020)
Authors (first, second and last of 7)
The Association Between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Positive Dementia Screen in American Older Adults
Themed issue on Medical Education: Innovation and Change in Medical Education – Call for submissions
JGIM are launching a themed issue on Medical Education, edited by Eva Aagaard and Jeffrey LaRochelle, the deadline for submissions is 15 September 2021.
The Editors are looking for submissions that are related to current issues in medical education at any level, more detail of the scope, topics of special interest and articles considered is available here. Manuscript submissions should follow JGIM submission guidelines and be made in the usual way through the submission system by 15 September 2021.
To help keep our readers up-to-date on research and analysis related to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created this collection of articles and other resources published in Journal of General Internal Medicine.
Click here for updates from the journal's society, the Society of General Internal Medicine, including information on newsletters, meetings, and much more!
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- BFI List
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/Clinical Medicine
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO CINAHL
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- EBSCO STM Source
- Google Scholar
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals and Series
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Algology, Mycology and Protozoology Abstracts (Microbiology C)
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- Semantic Scholar
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)