The Journal of General Internal Medicine is the official journal of the Society of General Internal Medicine. It promotes improved patient care, research, and education in primary care, general internal medicine, and hospital medicine. Its articles focus on topics such as clinical medicine, epidemiology, prevention, health care delivery, curriculum development, and numerous other non-traditional themes, in addition to classic clinical research on problems in internal medicine.
JGIM is ranked #1 in the Google Scholar H-5 Index of Primary Health Care, with a 2019 H-5 Index of 57.
Why publish with us
- We are the official journal of the Society of General Internal Medicine, received by all Society members and ranked #1 in the Google Scholar H-5 Index of Primary Health Care.
- Highly accessible through SpringerLink, we publish to a broad audience, recording approximately 1.5 million article downloads each year.
- The journal publishes practice-based evidence to support evidence-based practice, in internal medicine, primary care and hospital medicine.
- With our rigorous and swift peer review process, the journal is highly rated by authors, with over 80% reporting an excellent or good publishing experience with us.
- Steven Asch,
- Carol Bates,
- Jeff Jackson
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 4.597 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 4.950 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 29 days
- Submission to first decision
- 139 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 2,548,116 (2020)
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Discharge Practices for COVID-19 Patients: Rapid Review of Published Guidance and Synthesis of Documents and Practices at 22 US Academic Medical Centers
Authors (first, second and last of 11)
Authors (first, second and last of 4)
A Comparison of Web-Based Cancer Risk Calculators That Inform Shared Decision-making for Lung Cancer Screening
Authors (first, second and last of 5)
Click here for updates from the journal's society, the Society of General Internal Medicine, including information on newsletters, meetings, and much more!
The 2021 SGIM Annual Meeting taking place April 20-23, 2021, will transcend the boundaries of physical space to bring you a vital and energizing virtual learning experience.
Registration Now Open!
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Current Contents/Clinical Medicine
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
- EBSCO CINAHL
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- EBSCO STM Source
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Agricultural & Environmental Science Database
- ProQuest Algology, Mycology and Protozoology Abstracts (Microbiology C)
- ProQuest Bacteriology Abstracts (Microbiology B)
- ProQuest Biological Science Database
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Environmental Science
- ProQuest Genetics Abstracts
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- ProQuest Health Research Premium Collection
- ProQuest Healthcare Administration Database
- ProQuest Medical Database
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Database
- ProQuest Pharma Collection
- ProQuest Research Library
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest Virology and AIDS Abstracts
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- Semantic Scholar
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)