Journal of World Prehistory is an international forum for the publication of peer-reviewed original articles that synthesize the prehistory of an area or of a time-horizon within a larger region, or describe technical advances of wide and general application. These overview papers provide in-depth, thoughtful development of data and concepts in a fashion accessible to all archaeologists.
The journal focuses on prehistory, including the beginnings and early development of complex societies. Coverage extends to locales not normally available to American or West European archaeologists, including the Far East, parts of the Third World, and Eastern Europe.
Benefiting both scholars and teachers, Journal of World Prehistory is a source of timely and authoritative research syntheses from all fields of archaeology.
2-Year Impact Factor: 3.188 (2017)
5-Year Impact Factor: 2.857 (2017)
5 out of 85 on the Anthropology list
Included in the European Reference Index for the Humanities (ERIH) PLUS
The European Reference Index for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (ERIH PLUS) was created and developed by European researchers under the coordination of the Standing Committee for the Humanities (SCH) of the European Science Foundation (ESF). https://dbh.nsd.uib.no/publiseringskanaler/erihplus/about/index
SCImago Journal and Country Rank (SJR) 2018: 2.164
2 out of 254 on the Archeology list
1 out of 131 on the General Arts and Humanities list
SJR is a measure of the journal's relative impact in its field, based on its number of citations and number of articles per publication year.
Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2018: 2.521
The SNIP measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. The impact of a single citation is given higher value in subject areas where citations are less likely, and vice versa.
CiteScore 2018: 4.21
- Presents peer-reviewed articles that synthesize the prehistory of an area or of a time-horizon within a larger region
- Coverage extends to the Far East, parts of the Third World, and Eastern Europe
- Provides in-depth, thoughtful development of archeological data and concepts
- Timothy Taylor
- Publishing model
- Hybrid. Open Access options available
- 2.417 (2019)
- Impact factor
- 2.647 (2019)
- Five year impact factor
- 68,472 (2019)
Chariotry and Prone Burials: Reassessing Late Shang China’s Relationship with Its Northern Neighbours
Authors (first, second and last of 4)
Making Sense of Material Culture Transformation: A Critical Long-Term Perspective from Jomon- and Yayoi-Period Japan
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
Read recently published open access articles in the Journal of World Prehistory.
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Current Contents/Arts and Humanities
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO History Reference Center
- ERIH PLUS
- Google Scholar
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China
- Journal Citation Reports/Social Sciences Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Central
- ProQuest Earth, Atmospheric & Aquatic Science Database
- ProQuest Natural Science Collection
- ProQuest SciTech Premium Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Social Science Citation Index
- UGC-CARE List (India)