The journal extends its condolences to the family of Editorial Advisory Board Member Hartmut Derendorf, who unexpectedly passed away on November 23, 2020. He was a leader in the field and he contributed to the journal as a reviewer and author. A commentary on his life and legacy was published in March 2021. His obituary can be found here.
Chronopharmacology is part of pharmacology that is concerned with effects of biological rhythms while pharmacometrics relates to mathematical models of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drugs. Chronopharmacometrics encompasses pharmacometric methods relevant to quantifying chronopharmacology and chronotherapeutics.
A special issue of Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics on Chronopharmacometrics was published in July 2021 presenting state-of-the-art modeling approaches that address the presence of biorhythms in biomarkers used in drug development and therapeutics. Potential topics included but were not limited to:
- Examples of drugs and biomarkers exhibiting biorhythms: genes, hormones, cells, physiological processes
- Cosinor analysis and other statistical approaches to detecting and quantifying rhythms in physiological baselines
- PKPD, PBPK, QSP models of drugs and drug effects with circadian rhythms
- Mixed effects models of biorhythmic data
- Time to event analysis of sleep/awake patterns
- Optimization of dosing regimens for drugs with circadian PKPD
- Machine learning methods for identification and quantification of biorhythms
- Real-time data collection of digital data and biorhythms
- Models of biorhythms in cell cycle
- Examples of software designed for analysis of biorhythmic data
As a result of the significant disruption that is being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic we are very aware that many researchers will have difficulty in meeting the timelines associated with our peer review process during normal times. Please do let us know if you need additional time. Our systems will continue to remind you of the original timelines but we intend to be highly flexible at this time.
We are pleased to announce that Peter Bonate, Ph.D. is the new Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics, commencing January 1st, 2020.
We invite you to read a selection of highly interesting articles recently published in the journal.