The African Archaeological Review publishes original research articles, review essays, reports, book/media reviews, and forums/commentaries on African archaeology, highlighting the contributions of the African continent to critical global issues in the past and present. Relevant topics include the emergence of modern humans and earliest manifestations of human culture; subsistence, agricultural, and technological innovations; and social complexity, as well as topical issues on heritage. The journal features timely continental and subcontinental studies covering cultural and historical processes; interregional interactions; biocultural evolution; cultural dynamics and ecology; the role of cultural materials in politics, ideology, and religion; different dimensions of economic life; the application of historical, textual, ethnoarchaeological, and archaeometric data in archaeological interpretation; and the intersections of cultural heritage, information technology, and community/public archaeology.
Scopus category rankings:
27 out of 301 on the Archeology list
26 out of 318 on the Archeology (Arts and Humanities) list
36 out of 88 on the Anthropology list
Included in the European Reference Index for the Humanities (ERIH) PLUS: The European Reference Index for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (ERIH PLUS) was created and developed by European researchers under the coordination of the Standing Committee for the Humanities (SCH) of the European Science Foundation (ESF). The site is available at https://dbh.nsd.uib.no/publiseringskanaler/erihplus/about/index.
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2020: 0.747: SJR is a measure of the journal’s relative impact in its field, based on its number of citations and number of articles per publication year.
Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2020: 1.094: The SNIP measures contextual citation impact by weighting citations based on the total number of citations in a subject field. The impact of a single citation is given higher value in subject areas where citations are less likely, and vice versa.
CiteScore 2020: 2.5
- Presents new field and laboratory data on all aspects of human experience.
- Applies anthropological, ethnohistorical, textual, and ethnoarchaeological data in archaeological interpretation.
- Provides theoretical analysis of the past, from human origins to early technology and the development of social complexity.
- Offers in-depth analysis of heritage issues and the relevance of archaeology to contemporary African affairs.
- Akin Ogundiran
- Associate Editor
- Cameron Gokee
- Publishing model
- Hybrid (Transformative Journal). Learn about publishing Open Access with us
- 1.620 (2020)
- Impact factor
- 1.579 (2020)
- Five year impact factor
- 45 days
- Submission to first decision
- 188 days
- Submission to acceptance
- 87,972 (2020)
Middle Stone Age Bifacial Technology and Pressure Flaking at the MIS 3 Site of Toumboura III, Eastern Senegal
Authors (first, second and last of 10)
The 2020 impact metrics for the African Archaeological Review are now available. We thank our authors, reviewers, readers, editorial board, and editorial staff for a wonderful year.
In 2019, African Archaeological Review launched a new forum: "Useable Past". The goal of the forum is to provide space for 4-6 archaeologists to use archaeological knowledge to reflect on a topic of contemporary relevance. The forum publishes critical essays (not more than 1500 words each) that make use of any aspect of archaeological knowledge to address a common topic.
The Society of Africanist Archaeologists is the official society of African Archaeological Review. Learn more here about SAfA's mission, executive board, and their next meeting in September of 2020 at the University of Oxford.
African Archaeological Review aims to publish quality reviews of books, edited volumes, documentaries, and databases published in traditional or new media, and covering any aspect of African archaeology and related fields.
Societies, partners and affiliations
About this journal
- Electronic ISSN
- Print ISSN
- Abstracted and indexed in
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- BFI List
- Current Contents / Social & Behavioral Sciences
- EBSCO Academic Search
- EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
- EBSCO Art
- EBSCO Art & Architecture
- EBSCO Book Review Digest Plus
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCO History Reference Center
- EBSCO Humanities Full Text
- EBSCO Humanities International
- EBSCO Humanities Source
- EBSCO OmniFile
- EBSCO Science & Technology Collection
- ERIH PLUS
- Google Scholar
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Art, Design and Architecture Collection
- ProQuest Arts & Humanities Database
- ProQuest Arts Premium Collection
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Social Science Citation Index
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)