Italy Read and Publish (Springer Compact) agreement
Publish open access at no cost to you.
If you’re affiliated with a participating institution, the Italy Read and Publish (Springer Compact) agreement means you can publish your article open access with the fees covered, in more than 2,000 Springer hybrid journals.
In addition, you can enjoy full access to all Springer subscription journal content. Established by CRUI-CARE, this agreement will run through 31 December 2024.
Participating institutions (PDF download)
Hybrid journal list (XLSX download)
Guide for authors (PDF download)
Benefits of open access (OA)
- Enjoy higher visibility and greater impact: In Springer hybrid journals, open access articles are accessed 4 times more often on average, and cited 1.6 more times on average.*
- Comply with mandates: Many funders require open access, and some take compliance into account when assessing future grant applications.
- The copyright remains with you: Most Springer open access articles are published under the liberal Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY) license.
* Within the first three years of publication. Springer Nature hybrid journal OA impact analysis, 2018.
Next steps for corresponding authors
1. Check your eligibility
View a list of participating institutions to check your eligibility. To publish open access using this agreement, the corresponding author must be affiliated with a participating institution.
2. Submit your research to your journal of choice
View a list of included Springer journals. Please note that open access publication via this agreement is only available for journals on the list.
3. Identify yourself as an eligible author
There are three ways we can recognise your eligibility for open access publication through this agreement. When your article is accepted, be sure to identify yourself in at least one of the following ways on the MyPublication form:
4. Institution’s approval
Your institution will approve your eligibility without causing any delays to the manuscript publication process.
5. Promote and share your research
When your article is open access, anyone can read and share it! So whether you want to share your article on a website, a scholarly collaboration network, by email, on social media, in teaching, or anywhere else, you’re free to do so.
For more ideas on sharing your research and maximising your impact, check out the latest blog posts on The Source (Springer Nature's blog for researchers) or visit the article promotion hub on springernature.com.
Which article types are covered by this agreement?
- OriginalPaper: Standard article, usually presenting new results; articles published under this article type may also be referred to as Original Research, Original Article, Original Paper or Research Paper.
- ReviewPaper: Standard article, interpreting previously published results.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us