Open Choice: Your research. Your choice.
Publish open access in more than 1,900 Springer hybrid journals with Open Choice. Make your research more visible and accessible, immediately on publication.
Benefits of publishing open access with Open Choice
- Increased researcher engagement: Open Choice enables access by anyone with an internet connection, immediately on publication.
- Higher visibility and greater impact: In Springer hybrid journals, open access articles are accessed 4 times more often on average, and cited 1.6 more times on average.*
- Easy compliance with mandates: Many funders require open access, and some take compliance into account when assessing future grant applications.
- The copyright remains with you: Most Open Choice articles are published under the liberal Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY) license.
* Within the first three years of publication. Springer Nature hybrid journal OA impact analysis, 2018.
Discover your Open Choice options
- View a list of Open Choice journals, including article processing charges (APCs) by journal.
- Check your eligibility for the open access agreements we have in place with a number of organisations. Affiliated researchers can publish open access at no cost to them.
- Visit our open access funding page to find out how open access publication fees can be covered.
- View our open access policies page to learn more about OA licensing and copyright, manuscript deposition, and more.
Ordering Open Choice
When you’re ready, submit your manuscript to the eligible journal of your choice. After your article has been accepted for publication, you will receive an email with a link to the MyPublication process pages. Within the MyPublication process, you can opt for your article to be published open access via Open Choice.
If your open access publication fee is not covered by an agreement, we will issue you an invoice.
The open access publication fee does not replace any other existing journal publication costs, which are billed separately (e.g. surcharges for color figures in print, oversized articles, etc.).
Customers providing payment from the Americas will be charged in US$. Sales tax will be charged if applicable. Customers providing payment from Europe, Africa and Asia will be charged in EUR. VAT is not included in the price and will be added, at a standard rate, if applicable.
If you have questions or need help with the Open Choice process, please contact the Springer Nature customer support team.
How can readers tell an article is Open Choice?
When searching for an article on SpringerLink, readers will find Open Choice articles clearly marked as open access.