The Tertiary Education Imperative
Knowledge, Skills and Values for Development
Authors: Salmi, JamilFree Preview
- This book is the first one to consider in a comprehensive way the contribution of tertiary education to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- A unique contribution of this book is to translate twenty-five years of policy work on tertiary education transformation into advice on how to successfully design and implement audacious reforms.
- Informed by the author’s experience in more than 90 countries, this book offers a unique perspective on the challenges faced by tertiary education systems in the twenty-first century and the opportunities developing countries can seize.
- About this book
The world of tertiary education has changed significantly in the past fifteen years. Developing countries have seen tremendous enrollment growth, especially in the private sector. Many nations are facing an exponentially rising demand as more young people graduate from high school as a result of the successful implementation of the Education for All agenda. The launch of the Sustainable Development Goals by the United Nations in September 2015 has given renewed consideration to the importance of education for development and the urgency of putting in place viable financing strategies. Against this background this book explores the crucial role played by tertiary education towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. It observes that tertiary education finds itself at a crossroad today, as national systems are pulled in several directions by a combination of factors—crisis factors, rupture factors, and stimulation factors—bringing about both opportunities and challenges. How these forces in the tertiary education ecosystem play out in each country will determine the new “perils” and “promises” that are likely to shape the contribution of tertiary education to economic and social development in the years to come.
- Table of contents (6 chapters)
The Changing Context
The Contribution of Tertiary Education
Designing and Implementing System-Wide Reforms
Ensuring Financial Sustainability
Role of the Donors
Table of contents (6 chapters)
Recommended for you
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- The Tertiary Education Imperative
- Book Subtitle
- Knowledge, Skills and Values for Development
- Jamil Salmi
- Series Title
- Global Perspectives on Higher Education
- Sense Publishers
- Copyright Holder
- SensePublishers-Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- eBook ISBN
- Edition Number
- Number of Pages
- CCIV, 14