COPE has written an article with advice on how to spot potential authorship problems. Most authorship problems have to do with authorship without the author’s knowledge and unacknowledged authorship. For more information on authorship see also Publishing Ethics.
Recommended action by COPE for Journal Editors:
- Corresponding author requests addition of extra author before publication
- Corresponding author requests removal of author before publication
- Request for addition of extra author after publication
- Request for removal of author after publication
- Suspected guest, ghost or gift authorship
For more information on this topic see How to handle authorship disputes: a guide for new researchers.