Cyber-Physical Systems: A Model-based Approach
Authors: Taha, Walid, Taha, Abd-Elhamid, Thunberg, Johan
- Offers a unique perspective to gain the skills needed for learning, applying, and developing a wide range of scientific, engineering, and social knowledge that are key to engineering future systems
- Introduces key concepts from different areas in an efficient manner. The disciplines considered include physical modeling, control, hybrid systems, computational modeling, and game theory
- Focuses on modeling, and uses simulation rather than analytical methods to provide generality and avoid the need for specialized mathematical skills. This experience helps the reader become comfortable with the differences between actual physical systems and phenomena on the one hand, and mathematical models on the other
- Assumes very little mathematical prerequisites, and offers the opportunity to review and sharpen mathematical skills including mathematical modeling, differentiation and integration, and solving simple algebraic and differential equations
Buy this book
- ISBN 978-3-030-36071-9
- The ebook is not yet available online.
- Hardcover £44.99
price for United Kingdom (gross)
- Due: October 7, 2020
- ISBN 978-3-030-36070-2
- Free shipping for individuals worldwide
- About this Textbook
In this concise yet comprehensive Open Access textbook, future inventors are introduced to the key concepts of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS). Using modeling as a way to develop deeper understanding of the computational and physical components of these systems, one can
express new designs in a way that facilitates their simulation, visualization, and analysis. Concepts are introduced in a cross-disciplinary way. Leveraging hybrid (continuous/discrete)systems as a unifying framework and Acumen as a modeling environment, the book bridges the conceptual gap in modeling skills needed for physical systems on the one hand and computational systems on the other. In doing so, the book gives the reader the modeling and design skills they need to build smart, IT-enabled products. Starting with a look at various examples and characteristics of Cyber-Physical Systems, the book progresses to explain how the area brings together several previously distinct ones such as Embedded Systems, Control Theory, and Mechatronics. Featuring a simulation-based project that focuses on a robotics problem (how to design a robot that can play ping-pong) as a useful example of a CPS domain, Cyber-Physical Systems: A Model-Based Approach demonstrates the intimate coupling between cyber and physicalcomponents, and how designing robots reveals several non-trivial control problems, significant embedded and real-time computation requirements, and a need to consider issues of communication and preconceptions.
- About the authors
Walid Taha is a Professor of Computer Science at Halmstad University. He has lead the development of several programming language design and implementation efforts, including MetaOCaml, Java Mint, the Verilog Preprocessor, Event-based and Priority-based FRP,and Acumen. Walid's recognitions include the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award and Halmstad University's Teacher of the Year Award (2016).
Abd-Elhamid M. Taha is an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering At Alfaisal University. His research spans radio resource management, Internet of Things (IoT) services, and modeling in networked cyber-physical systems. Abd-Elhamid is a senior member of the IEEE, and a recipient of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Early Career Researcher Award as well as several awards at Alfaisal University for distinction in teaching andresearch.
Johan Thunberg is an Assistant professor at the School of Information Technology, Halmstad University. His research interests include pattern recognition, control theory and nonlinear systems. He received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in2008 and 2014, respectively. Between 2007 and 2008 he held a position as research assistant at the Swedish Defense Research agency (FOI). Between 2014 and 2018 he held a position as research associate at the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine, University of Luxembourg.
Recommended for you
- Bibliographic Information
- Book Title
- Cyber-Physical Systems: A Model-based Approach
- Walid Taha
- Abd-Elhamid Taha
- Johan Thunberg
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s)
- eBook ISBN
- Hardcover ISBN
- Edition Number