eBooks: Watch the Video
This short video highlights features and benefits of eBooks on SpringerLink.
Why use Springer eBooks?
eBooks from Springer are an unparalleled resource for scientific research. Springer’s eBook collection delivers complete access to the largest collection of scientific, technical and medical publications available today.
Available through SpringerLink, libraries and corporations can offer their patrons online access to worthwhile books instantly from multiple locations, including library, office, home or wherever they are.
Springer’s eBook Collection uses the portability, searchability, and unparalleled ease of access of PDF and HTML data formats to make access for researchers, anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Springer Book Archives
Springer opens another door to scientific research
As part of its ongoing commitment to the scientific community, Springer significantly expand its archival offering with the Springer Book Archives, dating back to the 1840s. With around 110,000 Springer Book Archive titles available, Springer continues to offer the largest single collection of STM books in the world.
Features and benefits
- Online access to over 172,000 titles adding thousands new books each year
- Fully indexed and searchable to chapter level
- Available in 13 English subject collections and 5 German language collections
- Delivered from a single platform, interconnected to all Springer content
- No DRM – users can choose how they wish to access content. Springer eBooks can be delivered and utilized on a wide array of devices
- Chapter and whole book metadata and downloads
- Fully integrated into the library catalog
- OpenURL compliant and full integration with all major link resolvers
- Free MARC records and OCLC MARC records available
- COUNTER compliant usage statistics
- MyCopy – a service from Springer: low cost, soft cover editions of English language eBooks available for 80,000 titles
- Springer eBook Brochure
Watch the Video
This short video will give you a quick overview of some features and benefits of Springer eBooks.
English / International Subject collections
All English/International Springer eBooks, including briefs, textbooks, proceedings, series and reference works are contained in 13 Subject Collections. Users can browse a certain collection for an overview of titles available online.
These collections include:
- Behavioral Sciences (pdf, 187 kB)
- Biomedical & Life Sciences (pdf, 184 kB)
- Business & Economics (pdf, 185 kB)
- Chemistry & Material Science (pdf, 175 kB)
- Computer Science (pdf, 168 kB)
- Earth & Environmental Science (pdf, 185 kB)
- Energy (pdf, 174 kB)
- Engineering (pdf, 185 kB)
- Humanities, Social Science & Law (pdf, 202 kB)
- Mathematics & Statistics (pdf, 183 kB)
- Medicine (pdf, 187 kB)
- Physics & Astronomy (pdf, 189 kB)
- Professional and Applied Computing (pdf, 188 kB)
German Subject Collections
Springer offers the following 6 German language collections:
- Medizin (inkl. Biomedizin und Pharmakologie)
- Technik und Informatik
- Geistes-,Sozial- und Rechtswissenschaften
- Naturwissenschaften – und Basiswissenschaften
Italian Subject Collections
Springer offers one more language-specific eBook collection in Italian ranging from 2005 through 2014. This collection addresses the needs of the Italian-language research communities who now have the option of accessing relevant scientific content in various disciplines. The Italian Package (Italian) is available in three subject collections.
My book, MyCopy - print eBooks for only 24.99
MyCopy allows library patrons to directly order their own personal soft cover edition of Springer eBooks included in their library's eBook package. Best of all, it is available to patrons for just 24.99 (cost to the individual user including handling and shipping. Personal copy not for resale).
Open up the Springer eBook or eBook chapter you are interested in and look for the button under the cover: "MyCopy Softcover Edition - 24.99 - Buy Now" link at the top. Then simply follow the ordering steps.
Springer Reference works
Springer References are multi-volume encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries, and atlases on specific subjects written by experts and aimed not only at researchers, but also at scientists from related areas and junior scientists.They represent works of tertiary literature, containing digested and established knowledge presented in an easily accessible format. Together they form a huge web of knowledge. Our expertise in structuring and organizing reference works enables large international author teams to present their combined knowledge uniformly and systematically, ensuring that these articles are easily accessible, even for non specialists.
Springer References are available as:
- Print editions
- Online reference work on SpringerLink
- Live Reference
- Continuously updated, living edition of a reference work
Click here to download the latest list of forthcoming titles:
Springer is delighted to announce SpringerBriefs, concise summaries of cutting-edge research and practical applications across a wide spectrum of fields. SpringerBriefs are included in the Springer eBook Collection. Featuring volumes of 50 to 125 pages, the series covers a range of content from professional to academic. SpringerBriefs are full-text searchable/hyperlinked. For more information, download the datasheet, or see our dedicated website for Springer authors.
Typical topics might include:
- A timely report of state-of-the art analytical techniques
- A bridge between new research results published in journal articles and a contextual literature review
- A snapshot of a hot or emerging topic
- An in-depth case study or clinical example
- A presentation of core concepts that students must understand in order to make independent contributions
Ownership business model
Springer eBooks, Reference Works and Book Series are offered as an annual package, whereby libraries and institutions can either purchase the entire annual collection or may purchase any number of Subject Collections. Full archiving rights with continuous access to purchased content are free through SpringerLink as long as the subscribing institution’s account remains active with Springer.
Availability and sales
Springer eBooks, Reference Works and eBook Series are available through various business models to meet your institution or corporation’s specific needs.
Contact your local Springer Licensing Manager for complete details of Standard, Academic and Corporate Single Site, Multi-Site and Consortia Licenses. You can also contact one of our partners for specialized purchasing needs:
- Springer Licensing Managers
- Collections - Subscriptions Agents
- Collections - Book Sellers
- Title by Title Sales
Springer Open books
The growing demand for open access publishing has led Springer to expand our open access program to fully open access books, as a further addition to our established SpringerOpen journal portfolio. SpringerOpen accepts complete monographs, edited volumes, proceedings and SpringerBriefs in all areas of science. All open access eBooks are freely available online upon publication at SpringerLink as well as in the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) to ensure maximum visibility. Published under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial (CC BY-NC) license, they can be reused and redistributed for non-commercial purposes as long as the author is attributed. The open access eBook is automatically included in Springer’s eBook Collections purchased by our library customers at no additional cost. In addition to the free electronic version, we offer a print edition for those still interested in buying printed books.
Visit springeropen.com/books to learn more and view a list of all books published.
- Springer Open Books
- Springer Open Journals
- Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB)
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial (CC BY-NC)
Full book download feature
Current trends show that the use of tablets and other mobile devices on SpringerLink and Springer for R and D is growing exponentially. SpringerLink and Springer for R and D support any device by automatically adjusting the site-setup that is optimal for the screensize of the device that is used to visit the site. Particularly on tablets and mobile devices the users prefer to get whole books.
The ‘full book download functionality’ on SpringerLink and Springer for R and D is in response to the high demand for this feature by our authors, researchers and our library customers. The functionality allows users to download all chapters of a book in one go. Next to this feature, users can view an eBook on SpringerLink and Springer for R and D through the LookInside, and download the individual chapters as PDF and or HTML format. The chapter level and full book PDF is available to subscribed users without restrictions. The LookInside always shows some sample pages to unsubscribed users, and the full chapter to subscribed users.