Isabella Memmi was born in Siena, Italy in 1945
She graduated in 1968 “laurea” maxima cum laude in Natural Sciences at the Siena University.
Her academic career can be summarized as:
- 1968 - 1985 Tecnico laureato at the Institute of Mineralogy and Petrography of Siena University
- 1985 - 2001 Associated Professor of Mineralogy at the Facoltà di Scienze Matematiche, Fisiche e Naturali of the Siena University
- 2001 – to present Full Professor of Mineralogy at the Facoltà di Scienze Matematiche, Fisiche e Naturali of the Siena University
Further Academic responsibilities include:
- Head of the Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra dell’Università degli Studi di Siena from November 2004 until October 2007
- Member of the Managing Committee of the Degree in Natural Sciences
- 1993 – 1997 Leader of the Italian CNR project on Environmental Mineralogy
- 2000-2002 Leader of the national scientific project “Development and application of mineralogical and petrographical investigation methodologies to the study of archaeological materials”
- 2004-2006 Coordinator of Siena research Unit within the national scientific project on “Science of ancient materials geologically derived: to transfer the geological knowledge to the study of glasses and metals”
Memberships include the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrografia, Mineralogical Society of America, Società Italiana di Archeometria, and the American Society of Archaeological Sciences
Isabella Memmi is author of 90 papers, most of them in international journals with referees, and of about 100 contributions to national and international meetings.