Biglan, Anthony, Wang, Margaret C., Walberg, Herbert J. (Eds.)
2003, VIII, 188 p.
Springer eBooks may be purchased by end-customers only and are sold without copy protection (DRM free). Instead, all eBooks include personalized watermarks. This means you can read the Springer eBooks across numerous devices such as Laptops, eReaders, and tablets.
You can pay for Springer eBooks with Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
After the purchase you can directly download the eBook file or read it online in our Springer eBook Reader. Furthermore your eBook will be stored in your MySpringer account. So you can always re-download your eBooks.
Preventing Youth Problems provides information needed to prevent five of the most common, costly, and dangerous problems of adolescence: anti-social behavior, tobacco use, alcohol and drug abuse, and sexual behavior that risks disease and unwanted pregnancy. Over the past thirty years, scientific research on children and adolescents identified the major conditions influencing each of these problems. Each of the chapters in this volume provides a concise summary of what is known about one of these five problem behaviors. Each chapter covers the following essential points:
- Incidence, prevalence, and cost of the problem, vital for gauging the importance of preventing the problem and for making the case for such efforts in public discussion of priorities; - Biological and environmental influences which increase or decrease the likelihood of these problems; and, - Principles, programs and policies that have been shown to reduce the incidence of each problem, information that can help in prevention of these behaviors.
Content Level »Research
Keywords »Adolescence - Antisocial Behavior - Nation - alcohol - environment - etiology - pregnancy - social work - youth
Introduction Anthony Biglan and Herbert J. Walberg.
1. The Prevention of Antisocial Behavior: Beyond Efficacy and Effectiveness Philip A. Fisher.
2. Casual Structure of Alcohol Use and Problems in Early Life: Multilevel Etiology and Implications for Prevention Anthony Biglan and Herbert H. Severson.
3. The prevention of Tobacco Use Anthony Biglan and Herber H. Severson.
4. The Prevention of Drug Abuse Anthony Biglan, Brian Flay, and Sharon L. Foster.
5. Sexual Risk Behaviors among Adolescents Henry D. Anaya, Susan M. Cantwell, and Mary Jane Rotheram-Borus.
6. The Generic Features of Effective Childrearing Anthony Biglan.
7. Conclusions and Recommendations Herbert J. Walberg and Anthony Biglan.
About the Editors. About the Contributors.
University Advisory Committee. National Advisory Committee.