Optical-Thermal Response of Laser-Irradiated Tissue
Welch, Ashley J., van Gemert, Martin JC (Eds.)
2nd ed. 2011, XIII, 958p.
Springer eBooks may be purchased by end-customers only and are sold without copy protection (DRM free). Instead, all eBooks include personalized watermarks. This means you can read the Springer eBooks across numerous devices such as Laptops, eReaders, and tablets.
You can pay for Springer eBooks with Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
After the purchase you can directly download the eBook file or read it online in our Springer eBook Reader. Furthermore your eBook will be stored in your MySpringer account. So you can always re-download your eBooks.
Presents theory and models for light propagation in tissue
Covers the response of tissue to absorbed laser light Includes the use of reflectance and fluorescence for measurement of optical properties and for diagnostics
Describes dynamic changes in the optical and thermal properties of tissue during laser irradiation
Provides methods for measurement of thermal properties
The second edition of 'Optical-Thermal Response of Laser-Irradiated Tissue' maintains the standard of excellence established in the first edition, while adjusting the content to reflect changes in tissue optics and medical applications since 1995.
The material concerning light propagation now contains new chapters devoted to electromagnetic theory for coherent light. The material concerning thermal laser-tissue interactions contains a new chapter on pulse ablation of tissue. The medical applications section now includes several new chapters on Optical Coherent Tomography, acoustic imaging, molecular imaging, forensic optics and nerve stimulation. A detailed overview is provided of the optical and thermal response of tissue to laser irradiation along with diagnostic and therapeutic examples including fiber optics. Sufficient theory is included in the book so that it is suitable for a one or two semester graduate or for senior elective courses. Material covered includes: 1. light propagation and diagnostic application; 2. the thermal response of tissue and therapeutic application; 3. denaturation; 4. ablation.
The theory and applications provide researchers with sufficient detail that this volume will become the primary reference for laser-tissue interactions and medical applications.
1. Overview of Optical and Thermal Laser-Tissue Interaction and Nomenclature; A.J. Welch and M.J.C. van Gemert
2. Basic Interactions of Light with Tissue; J. T. Walsh
3. Definitions and Overview of Tissue Optics; A.J. Welch, M.J.C. van Gemert and W. Star
4. Polarized Light: Electrodynamic Fundamentals; J. Ricka and M. Frenz
5. Monte Carlo Modeling of Light Transport in Tissue (Steady State and Time of Flight); S.L. Jacques
6. Diffusion Theory of Light Transport; W. Star
7. From Electrodynamics to Monte Carlo Simulations; J. Ricka and M. Frenz
8. Measurement of Ex Vivo and In Vivo Tissue Optical Properties: Methods and Theories; A. Kim and B.C. Wilson
9. Dynamic Changes in Optical Properties; J.K. Barton
10. Laser Generated Heat Transfer; K.R. Diller
11. Temperature Measurements; J.A. Pearce, J. Valvano and S. Emelianov
12. Tissue Thermal Properties and Perfusion; J. Valvano
13. Thermal Damage and Rate Processes in Biologic Tissues; S. Thomsen and J.A. Pearce
14. Pulsed Laser Ablation of Soft Biological Tissues; A. Vogel and V. Venugopalan
15. Pulsed Laser Tissue Interaction; J.T. Walsh, A.G.J.M van Leeuwen, E. Duco Jansen, M. Motamedi and A.J. Welch
16. Introduction to Medical Applications; A.J. Welch and M.J.C. van Gemert
17. Optical Fiber Sensors for Biomedical Applications; L.Cl. Chin, W.M. Whelan and I.A. Vitkin
18. Optical Coherence Tomograpy; D.J. Faber and A.G.J.M van Leeuwen
19. Photoacoustic Tomography; L.V. Wang
20. Steady State Fluorescence Spectroscopy for Medical Diagnosis; A. Mahadevan-Jansen and S. Gebhart
21. Molecular Imaging using Fluorescence and Bioluminescence to Reveal Tissue Response to Laser-mediated Thermal Injury; M.A. Mackanos, E. Duco Jansen and C.H. Contag
22. The Optics of Bruising; L. Lyngsnes Randeberg, B. Skallerud, N.E.I. Langlois, O.A. Haugen and L.O. Svaasand
23. Laser Treatment of Port Wine Stains; B. Majaron and J.S. Nelson
24. Infrared Nerve Stimulation: A Novel Therapeutic Laser Modality; J.D. Wells, J.M. Cayce, A. Mahadevan-Jansen, P.E. Konrad and E. Duco Jansen
25. Summary and Future; R.R. Anderson