Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, an archival peer-reviewed bi-monthly publication, is uniquely focused on process metallurgy and materials processing science. MMTB
- Emphasizes the theoretical and engineering aspects of the processing of metals and other materials, including studies of electro- and physical chemistry, mass transport, modeling, and related computer applications.
- Publishes critically reviewed, original research deemed to be of archival significance.
- Concerns the main topics of composite materials; hydrometallurgy; pyrometallurgy; electrometallurgy; transport phenomena; process control; physical chemistry; solidification; mechanical working; solid state reactions; materials processing; welding & joining; surface treatment; mathematical modeling; environment; biomaterials; and light metals.
MMTB publishes five types of manuscripts:
- Technical Publications: manuscripts representing completed original work embodying the results of extensive field, plant, laboratory, or theoretical investigation, or new interpretations of existing problems. Critical information about experimental conditions must be included so that the work can be verified by other scientists.
- Communications: shorter manuscripts (about 2500 words of text) containing theoretical or experimental work of immediate current interests whose authors desire more rapid publication.
- Symposia: original, high-quality manuscripts from a meeting program with a common theme which the organizers feel would benefit from concurrent publication. (Prior approval of publication of symposia is required from the Editorial Office and the Joint Commission of MMT.) Symposia papers will be peer-reviewed in the normal review process.
- Discussions/Replies: manuscripts which discuss previously published Technical Publications or Communications. These should contribute to the original article by providing confirmation or additional interpretation. Discussions are referred to the original authors for reply. Both the discussion and reply will be published concurrently when possible.
- Critical Review papers: The editors solicit critical review papers which are Technical Publications presenting an overview of the current state-of-the-art research on a particular subject.
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B is a joint publication of ASM International and TMS (The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society) and
- Contains only original, critically reviewed research on primary manufacturing processes, from extractive metallurgy to the making of a shape
- Publishes contributions bimonthly on the theoretical and engineering aspects of the processing of metals and other materials, including studies of electro- and physical chemistry, mass transport, modeling, and related computer applications
- Articles cover extractive and process metallurgy, pyrometallurgy, transport phenomena, process control, physical chemistry, solidification, mechanical working, solid state reactions, composite materials, materials processing and the environment.