Plant Ecology provides a unique and up-to-date treatment of all aspects of the field, making it ideally suitable as a textbook and reference work for students, researchers and practitioners.
More than 500 high-quality images and drawings, mostly in colour, aid the reader in visualizing and understanding numerous key topics. Its clear structure and straightforward style make it user friendly and particularly accessible for students. The integrity and authoritativeness of the information is guaranteed by an experienced author team.
Whilst Plant Ecology is primarily aimed at graduate students of biology, post-graduate students and researchers in botany, geosciences and landscape ecology will also find this text invaluable as a reference work. In fact, everybody whose study or work touches on agriculture, forestry, land use, and landscape management will find this text a rich learning experience.
- Molecular ecophysiology (stress physiology: light, temperature, oxygen deficiency, drought, salt, heavy metals, xenobiotica and biotic stress factors)
- Autecology (whole plant ecology: thermal balance, water, nutrient, carbon relations)
- Ecosystem ecology (plants as part of ecosystems, element cycles, biodiversity)
- Synecology (development of vegetation in time and space, interactions between vegetation and the abiotic and biotic environment)
- Global aspects of plant ecology (global change, global biogeochemical cycles, land use, international conventions, socio-economic interactions)
From the reviews of the German-language edition:
"No other work is as compact and comprehensive in comparison. … nobody dealing with plant ecology in any form can afford to pass by this book." (Entomologia Generalis)
"With Plant Ecology, a new botanical standard work has been born. ... a worthwhile purchase." (www.pflanzenbuch.de)
"A book with scientific depth – a future standard work. Its up-to-date and global approach alone make it of interest to a large target group. ... Numerous images, tables, flow charts, graphics, and memory boxes facilitate comprehension. The comprehensive manner in which individual topics are presented make the book both a sound textbook and reference work." (Forstzeitung)
"The book is carefully structured and well written, and thus even complex issues as the self-thinning rule are elegantly presented and easily understandable. The register is extensive and represents certainly a useful selection of the most important key words. ... I recommend this book to advanced students, university teachers and other researchers in (plant) ecology, it is also inspiring reading for high school teachers." (Phytocoenologia)
Distribution rights for India: Researchco Book Centre, New Delhi, India