Open Choice: Your research. Your choice.
Our Open Choice program allows authors to publish open access in the majority of Springer's subscription-based journals.
When you choose Open Choice, benefits for you and your readers include:
- High visibility, as all articles are made freely available online for everyone, immediately upon publication
- Easy compliance with open access mandates, as all articles are CC BY licensed
- Reuse and immediate deposit of final article in any repository
- Authors retain the copyright to their work
- Automatic export triggered to PubMed Central/Europe PubMed Central (PMC)*
Identification of open access articles
Open access articles can be identified as open access in the article PDF, HTML and in the article metadata. They are also clearly labeled at SpringerLink using the open access button.
Copyright and open access license
If authors choose open access in the Springer Open Choice program, the copyright remains with them, the authors of the article.
As of January 16 2012, the majority of Springer’s Open Choice eligible journals publish open access articles under the liberal Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY) license. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the original author and source are properly attributed.
A limited number of journals continue to use the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC) license, including Pharma related titles and journals published by Springer Healthcare.