European Library Advisory Board Meeting 2013
This year’s meetings began in April with the European Library Advisory Board meeting. Attended by 24 librarians, the meeting discussed a range of issues including:
- Evolution of Education and Research, with discussion focused on the role of a research library in the 21st century, the impacts of mobile technology on education and research and MOOCs.
- The Researcher Perspective, including the different roles a researcher undertakes, the influencing factors that impact journal selection when submitting articles (e.g. Impact Factor, journal scope, quality of peer review and speed of publication), and the growth of Open Access.
- Papers, an iTunes-esque solution for organizing research papers which is currently available for individuals, and how the solution should evolve in order to meet the needs of the institution market.
- An overview of business models used within STM publishing and how these might be adapted in order to fit in with shrinking budgets and more diverse library patron needs, and finally.
- Springer’s product development including an overview of the eProduct Portfolio and roadmap, focusing on Springer Book Archives and its new initiative, enhanced eBooks, plus an update on SpringerLink.
As always, the meeting was full of lively discussion, interesting anecdotes and provided Springer with key action points to follow up on. We’d like to thank our customers for taking the time to join us and we hope that you found the meeting as useful and informative as we did. We look forward to seeing you all again next year!