Springer eBooks may be purchased by end-customers only and are sold without copy protection (DRM free). Instead, all eBooks include personalized watermarks. This means you can read the Springer eBooks across numerous devices such as Laptops, eReaders, and tablets.
You can pay for Springer eBooks with Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
After the purchase you can directly download the eBook file or read it online in our Springer eBook Reader. Furthermore your eBook will be stored in your MySpringer account. So you can always re-download your eBooks.
Highlights opportunities for engineers to promote the wellbeing and agency of others
Proposes innovative strategies for the implementation of a new ethical agenda in engineering
Provides approaches for increasing the expression of ethical responsibility by engineers
Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities aims to set a new agenda for the engineering profession by developing a key challenge: can the great technical innovation of engineering be matched by a corresponding innovation in the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility? Central features of this stimulating text include:
An analysis of engineering as a technical and ethical practiceproviding great opportunities for promoting the wellbeing and agency of individuals and communities.
Elucidation of the ethical opportunities of engineering in three key areas:
- Engineering for Peace, emphasising practical amelioration of the root causes of conflict rather than military solutions.
- Engineering for Health, focusing on close collaboration with healthcare professionals for both the promotion and restoration of health.
- Engineering for Development, providing effective solutions for the reduction of extreme poverty.
Innovative strategies for implementing these ethical opportunities are described:
- Emphasis on the personal responsibility of every engineer and on the
- Use of language and concepts that are appealing to business managers and political decision makers.
Future prospects for increasing the acceptance and expression of ethical responsibility by engineers are envisaged.
Engineering Ethics: Challenges and Opportunities provides engineers, decision makers and the wider public with new understanding of the potential of engineering for the promotion of human flourishing.
Content Level »Research
Keywords »Engineering Ethics - Engineering Ethics Education - Engineering Professional Ethics - Ethical Engineering Opportunities - Ethical Responsibility in Engineering