Springer eBooks may be purchased by end-customers only and are sold without copy protection (DRM free). Instead, all eBooks include personalized watermarks. This means you can read the Springer eBooks across numerous devices such as Laptops, eReaders, and tablets.
You can pay for Springer eBooks with Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal.
After the purchase you can directly download the eBook file or read it online in our Springer eBook Reader. Furthermore your eBook will be stored in your MySpringer account. So you can always re-download your eBooks.
digitally watermarked, no DRM
The eBook version of this title will be available soon
Demonstrates, for the first time, the potential of Anthony Giddens’ theory of structuration to inform and guide educational research
Provides some practical guidance to the use of Giddens’ ideas in an educational research context
Highlights future directions for addressing the issues faced by educational institutions aiming to introduce effective Education for Sustainable Development
This book provides a practical application of Anthony Giddens’ theory of structuration to a particular field of educational research, namely, Education for Sustainable Development. It assists educational researchers, educators and educational institutions to bridge the gaps between current educational practices and the rhetoric and best practices of Education for Sustainable Development. The volume draws on research, guided by Giddens, to:
· highlight the potential of Anthony Giddens’ theory of structuration, an approach not yet well-established in the field of educational research, to provide new and valuable insights into the factors that shape educational practices.
· provide practical guidance to the use of this new approach to educational research.
· provide a new perspective on the nature of the gap between the rhetoric, and the reality, of Education for Sustainability in Australian primary schools.
· provide new perspectives on issues facing educational institutions aiming to introduce effective Education for Sustainable Development, particularly in relation to the need for teachers to adopt new pedagogical practices
· demonstrate that Giddens’ theory of structuration is a valuable framework that can contribute to the development of new understandings in the field of educational research.
Content Level »Research
Keywords »Anthony Giddens - classroom practices - critical pedagogy - elementary education - environmental education - primary school - structure agency duality - sustainable development education - sustainable schools - sustainable schools program - teacher agency - teaching sustainability - theory of structuration
Introduction by Series Editors.- Chapter 1: Facing the Future.-Chapter 2: Getting to Know Giddens.- Chapter 3: Putting Giddens into Practice Chapter.- 4: The State of Play.- Chapter 5: The Rhetoric and the Reality.- Chapter 6: The Dance of the 'Duality of Structure and Agency'.- Chapter 7: Ideology and Ontological Security.- Chapter 8: Moving Forward.