• Research: how well the nominee has helped advance the field of conceptual modeling with his/her intellectual contributions.
• Service: participation in the organization of conceptual-modeling-related meetings and conferences and participation in editorial boards of conceptual-modeling-related journals.
• Education: how effectively the nominee has mentored doctoral students in conceptual modeling, produced researchers from their labs, and also helped mentor young people in the field.
• Contribution to practice: the extent to which the nominee has contributed to technology transfer, commercialization, and industrial projects.
• International reputation: the extent to which the nominee's work is visible to and has diffused into the international community.
The 2013 award committee members were Stephano Spaccapietra (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland); Tok Wang Ling (National University of Singapore), Lois Delcambre (Portland State University, USA), Umesh Dayal (HP Labs, USA), and Antoni Olivé (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya).