Open access publishing is not without costs. Publishers defray these costs through article-processing charges (APCs) because it does not have subscription charges for its research content. APCs are levied after article acceptance, at the beginning of the publication process and vary depending on the respective publisher, journal and discipline.
Article-processing charges cover
- Permanent, immediate, and worldwide open access to the full article text
- Developing and maintaining electronic systems for peer review and publication
- Preparation in various formats for online publication
- Securing inclusion in relevant indexing services as soon as possible after publication
- Securing inclusion in CrossRef, enabling electronic citation in other journals that are available electronically
Please refer to question 8 for more information on available OA funding.